PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: Router Station

scotsman
14-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi to all complete beginner needing some advice and help where to source drive components and control equipment to continue the next phase off my diy cnc build, the status at the moment is the table and gantry system is complete and ready for the lead screws, bearings drive motors etc, contacted a company recently but they came back with a cost of over a grand for the lead screws,mounts and couplings only, I thought they were having a laugh to much dosh for me, anyone suggest competative and reliable supplier, thanks in advance, once I figure it out will post photos of progress so far.

scotsman

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3197&d=1287259320

Jonathan
14-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Cheapest place for ballscrews, as far as I know, is the ebay seller 'linearmotionbearings2008'. I've bought some linear bearings from him and it was pretty good service.

For stepper motors and good quality drivers, www.slidesandballscrews.com is your freind.

For cheap drivers then have a look on eBay.

scotsman
14-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jonathan Ill give them a try and see what gives,as I have noted I have a lot to learn.
scotsman

Lee Roberts
12-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Bill,

Did you make any progress with your inquiries as to the parts you now need for your machine?

I'm not sure how you would like to go with regards to cost, you do have the option of using standard threaded bar as your lead screws. I think we should start with these first then move on to the other parts you need. You need to give me an idea of what your intensions are for this machine.

Lee

scotsman
13-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Hello Lee

I will have a budget of around £500, does this seem realistic? I would hope to fit the leadscrews using ballscrew assemblies if the budget ok, the machine will be used to cut the component parts for my model trucks.

Bill

Jonathan
13-03-2011, 03:00 AM
I will have a budget of around £500, does this seem realistic? I would hope to fit the leadscrews using ballscrew assemblies if the budget ok, the machine will be used to cut the component parts for my model trucks.

I think you should certainly be able to afford ballscrews for that amount. If not then you may want to consider using something similar to what I did on my Y-axis - threaded rod and an angled bearing acting as the 'nut'. It's efficient and very very low backlash.

You will save a lot if you make the mounts for the ballnuts and bearings yourself. They all seem very overpriced to me...

scotsman
13-03-2011, 08:10 AM
I think you should certainly be able to afford ballscrews for that amount. If not then you may want to consider using something similar to what I did on my Y-axis - threaded rod and an angled bearing acting as the 'nut'. It's efficient and very very low backlash.

You will save a lot if you make the mounts for the ballnuts and bearings yourself. They all seem very overpriced to me...

Hello Jonathan
I was hoping to complete the project with my £500 pounds including the electronics etc, making the mounts ect will not be a problem, would a reasonable acuracy be achieved using threaded rod? not quite sure what you mean by an angled bearing do you have photos?

Bill