PDA

View Full Version : How do I program my TECO VFD? Help!!

ArdenHTF
05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Here's my deal: economy is in the tank, business is terrible. Management laid off/furlowed all the electronics guys (kept 2 "electricians"!?). So here we are; got a nice ol' rebuilt Powermatic planer - 220v 3 phase (60Hz - we're in USA). But the shop it's in only has 220v single phase - was never meant to house machines. So, they bought this very nice TECO 7300CV VFD that is supposed to be able to supply 220v 3 phase from our single phase input.

Got it all wired up. The VFD is rated for 7.5hp, the motor on the planer is 5hp. When I power it up, the input reads 220v. Good. The output reads 220v. Also good. But the motor does not run. Oh, in case you need to know, it's wired to a magnetic starter/disconnect with a remote mounted start/stop switch, if that is important.

I have read the manual - several times - but do not understand the block diagram format at all. So, is there anyone who would take the time to give me step by step on how to set this thing to work? I sure would appreciate it...

Arden

C_Bubba
05-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Arden,
"Oh, in case you need to know, it's wired to a magnetic starter/disconnect with a remote mounted start/stop switch, if that is important."

I hope you did NOT put the starter between the VFD and the motor! That is a NO NO and can cause the magic smoke to come out of the VFD!

When I got my VFD, (also a Teco), I went down through the list of what the different functions were. For the most part, I did not change anything that I did not really understand. The main things I wanted to do to begin with was set the max and min frequency's, and to have the display read out rpm instead of frequency. It should run right out of the box, and only require tweaking as noted.

Art

AdieR
06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Is the 3ph motor on your planer running on star configuration, or wired for delta?

Is there voltage at the motor on all phases? Is the motor *totally* lifeless, or does it buzz and not run?

If you are running the VFD through a magnetic contactor, the contactor should be on the primary side.

One last point: (aplologies if you know this) a motor uses more power on start-up than any other time (inrush current) to initially move the motor (once its running, the current used will settle to a steady level). Does your VFD have sufficient reserve to cope with the start current (especially if your motor is wired for delta). Does your motor / VFD need acceleration / deceleration (ramp-up / ramp down) to run the motor up to speed?

ArdenHTF
07-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Is the 3ph motor on your planer running on star configuration, or wired for delta?

Is there voltage at the motor on all phases? Is the motor *totally* lifeless, or does it buzz and not run?

If you are running the VFD through a magnetic contactor, the contactor should be on the primary side.

One last point: (aplologies if you know this) a motor uses more power on start-up than any other time (inrush current) to initially move the motor (once its running, the current used will settle to a steady level). Does your VFD have sufficient reserve to cope with the start current (especially if your motor is wired for delta). Does your motor / VFD need acceleration / deceleration (ramp-up / ramp down) to run the motor up to speed?

I hate to sound like a dummy (but when it comes to this stuff, I am!), but I don't know how to tell if the motor is wired for Delta or star configuration. The building it came from was very old, and I know Delta is the older configuration of 3-phase, so I'm going to guess it's wired for Delta...

The motor has a power cord with a 4-prong connector; three "hot" leads from the VFD, and a ground/neutral spliced into the breaker panel. That power cord runs into what appears to be a magnetic switch (START / STOP), as it does not "click" on, or off... The lead from there goes in to the (what I think) is a GE magnetic starter. It has a "Reset" button on the outside. I took the cover off, and pressed on the bar - the motor turned very slowly. When I let off the bar, it stopped.

I DO know motors require more power at start up; I thought that was the purpose for the "starter", to take care of that, but I have no idea what the parameters of the motor would be nor any idea how to program the VFD...

I have found a man who knows about this stuff - he does PLC's and all that kind of stuff. He said he can probably come at the end of next week. I'm very concerned about damaging the VFD or the motor, so I think we'll just have to wait for him. We need the planer, but looks like we'll just have to run stuff over the jointer till he gets here.

Thanks for all your help!!
Arden

AdieR
20-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Any news on the Teco VFD?

ArdenHTF
20-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Any news on the Teco VFD?

Sorry, not yet. Still waiting for someone to come or to tell me step by step what to do.

Thanks.

M250cnc
20-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Have you not got a manual ?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

markems0
07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Whats the model No. of the VFD

markems0
07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Whats the model No. of the VFD or is it now sorted?

Robin Hewitt
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Whats the model No. of the VFD

He said it was a TECO 7300CV in post #1

By the sound of it he put a circuit breaker in the wrong place, guessed the motor jumpers were correct, switched on and it went pop sometime before Christmas.

Why are you resurrecting this thread? Are you a VFD expert?

markems0
08-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi. I was hoping for the 15 digit model No. number not just the model range (7300cv), and No, no expert but I do install and program them some of the time with work.