PDA

View Full Version : Converting Cardboard to DXF

Yow Ling
13-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi , first post here. Im building a set of expansion chambers for a racebike, it involves guessing angles lengths etc so everything fits and points inthe right direction. I enter the lengths angles etc into a program which prints out the shape of the part, i make a cardboard cutout of it and build a cardboard exhaust, when Im finished I can dissasemble the pipe and scan the parts , is there a way I can scan the parts and convert to dxf so I can send it off to the laser cutters to have the segments cut . there could be 15 or 20 per pipe x 2

Any suggestions appreciated.
It is kinda cnc related !!

Mike

AdieR
13-11-2010, 05:29 PM
You don't need to scan the individual segments of the pipe - if you have a good sheetmetal working place (who has skilled sheetmetal workers) place nearby you can supply the dimensions of the pipe as an entire item and they'll be able to work it out with relative ease. If need be, they should be able to roll and weld the cut segments as well.

What CAD program/s are you using?

Yow Ling
13-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi AdierR, Im using a 2 stroke engine simulation program called MOTA, it has a utility for designing pipe segments.
there is a free demo you can download, from http://www.iwt.com.au/MOTA.HTM the pipe designing part is not crippled or restricted.
Can be usefull for other general stuff.
A sheetmetal place would charge too much as there is a ton of welding, lasercutting seems to be theway to go as it doesnt get distracted

Zadig
14-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Try http://www.scan2cad.com/ for a looksee. 14 day full function trial might be long enough to do what you want.

Mike

ptjw7uk
14-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi,
You can scan the part and import the image into CAD and over draw it, well you can in Autocad as I've done it many times.
Difficult part is getting the image into a form the CAD package will accept

peter

John S
14-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Tried to get the demo but it times out, might be an easy way round this if I can get a sample file

Zadig
14-11-2010, 04:19 PM
John,

I've uploaded the demo to dropbox.

Mike

Zadig
14-11-2010, 04:22 PM
John,

forget that last post, I've got my 'demos' mixed up.

Mike

Vic66
14-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi , first post here. Im building a set of expansion chambers for a racebike, it involves guessing angles lengths etc so everything fits and points inthe right direction. I enter the lengths angles etc into a program which prints out the shape of the part, i make a cardboard cutout of it and build a cardboard exhaust, when Im finished I can dissasemble the pipe and scan the parts , is there a way I can scan the parts and convert to dxf so I can send it off to the laser cutters to have the segments cut . there could be 15 or 20 per pipe x 2

Any suggestions appreciated.
It is kinda cnc related !!

Mike

Off on a tangent, just thinking out loud......

You say your entering data into software which prints out a shape that you then cut out, could you use some free pdf software to print to pdf rather than your printer (i think theres one called something like bulldog pdf, this replicates a printer on your system) then use some free pdf to dxf software (I think inkscape does this but not certain) this would give you the shapes as a dxf, you would have to check the scaling of it though.

Thats assuming that the original software prints out the shape correctly and the cardboard doesnt need trimming to fit your bike which I suspect might bugger up my suggestion

Is that an RD350 YPVS motor by the way?

Yow Ling
15-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys , Ive downloaded the scan2cad and it looks like it will do the job admirably.

Vic your idea is great, simple things usually are, In my case it wouldnt work as there is a box printed around the shape I want , It might distract the laser thing.
maybe I over estimate the standard of drawing for the cutters, they are probably used to drawings on the back of fag packets and hunks of metal with chalk drawings.

Yes it is an RD 350 powervalve motor, my other bike is a RD350 LC without the powervalves, they are wicked motors, I love them

Vic66
15-11-2010, 09:10 AM
They will be able to edit out the box or you could do it yourself if you can get hold of some software, are the lines of the box different to the lines of the shape (i.e. dotted or a different colour) ? that would help explain which is the shape of the part you want cut.

If you want to try the pdf way I mentioned above and post the pdf on here or send it to me I could try converting it for you, I get quite a bit of stuff laser profiled for work and have to do drawings for that.

I had several X7's an RD350LC, lots of fun memories there, a mate bought a YPVS when they first came out, crash tested it shortly after!! another mate mangaed to graft a 350LC back end (swing arm and shock) onto a KH400 looked great but didnt handle.

Wobblybootie
15-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Did any KH handle hehehe (From a guy who rode a CX500 for ages as a courier but saw the light and swapped it for a LT1100. My own toy was a VFR750)

Vic66
15-11-2010, 10:18 AM
This was much worse than a normal KH, he couldnt get the shock geometry right, almost needed a step ladder to get on it !! sounded good though, Piper used to do a 3 into one for the KH and he had one of those on it, sounded 50% better but went 70% worse :)