PDA

View Full Version : Please Recommend me a CNC mill for....

Gasgasbones
14-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Machining out watch cases and case backs.

I'm looking for a small machine that can handle this job in stainless steel. I'm not looking for anything particularly fast just a small accurate machine.

I have been looking at the Syil x2, any good ? I read a couple of reviews that said they needed work doing on them from out the box:eek: is this basicaly the same machine as a Sieg or is it Sealey ?

I have had machining experience before but very little CnC, I know a tad about Mach 3 but also have a workmate that can hopfully programe for me.

Any recommendations would be greatly received.

Carl

i2i
14-11-2010, 12:34 PM
the small denford machines like the starmill or novamill would be perfect for this. They are sturdy enough to do most small jobs and accurate enough to go to very fine tolerances, and as they are already to go there's no setting up to do. You can pick them up for a reasonable price, and even though they are used machines most have done very little work.

Gasgasbones
14-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks mate,

I have had a quick look around and could only find one for sale on eBay and nothing
On the denford site !! Maybe looking in the wrong place.

Am I right I saying these are predominantly school/uni machines ?

Phil Gravett
29-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a Starmill that I am just about to convert to modern electrics. When it ran on BBC control it was slow but worked well. These are pretty robust machines and I have seen them fairly regular on Ebay. You need to travel though. Try to get one with toolchanger.

M250cnc
29-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I would have thought a lathe would be useful as well ?

Phil