PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Help

Toddy
16-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Hi guys, need lots of help in building cnc router,Just got this kithttp://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/products/14/51/cnc_drive_kit_5-v20/ but no wiring diagram, is there an idiot proof diagram that i can follow to set things up or do i need to phone supplier,I dont want to take the chance and wire up any old way and blow good gear up , CHEERS for any help.

Jonathan
16-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow, those are some powerful motors. What are you intending to use them for?

Look on the website for the datasheet for the motor and find the wiring diagram for bipolar parallel, then follow what it says in the stepper driver manual for the other connections....

http://www.stepper-drives.co.uk/downloads/drives/stepperdrives/MSD880_stepper_drive.pdf

Ask me if you want a more detailed explanation...

Jonathan
16-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Thought I'd give a more detailed explanation...

Here's the motor datasheet:

http://www.stepper-drives.co.uk/downloads/motors/steppermotors/FL86STH156-4208B.pdf

It say your motors draw 6 amps in bipolar parallel, and your drivers do 5.6A max, so near enough. Bipolar parallel is generally the best...
So that means you need to connect each *phase* in parallel, then connect that to the drivers. i.e.:

Motor --> Driver

Red --> A+
Blue --> A+
Black --> A-
Yellow -->A-

White -->B
Brown -->B-
Orange -->B+
Green -->B+

Now we need to set the driver to 5.6 amps. It says in the table on the datasheet switches 1,2,3 should all be off for 5.6A.
Similarly you probably want 1/8 microstepping, which the other table says is switches 5,7,8 on and 6 off.
Switch 4 off since I doubt you need the full holding torque when stationary.

Hope that helps.

Toddy
16-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks Jonathan it helps loads as i`m a dumbass with elictronics, Yes the motors are wow, thats what happens when you go overboard by accident but will have no problems with not enough torque, My main problem now is building an MDF cnc router that takes the waight, Im only needing a cutting area off two ft by four ft but the motors are 5.3kg each. Now need a rethink of the build.

Hope to get more info as needed, cheers

Jonathan
16-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I think your problem with those motors for that size router is going to be speed. Big Nema 34 motors, such as the ones you have, wont go particularly fast on 70v. Not as fast as say the 3Nm nema23 which should be plenty for the size of router you're building.

The advantage you have with big motors is you can use a 4:1 pulley (costly unless you make it) and still have the same torque as the 3Nm motors that I'm using at a good speed. But then you loose resolution...it's swings and roundabouts really.

Generally you go for the smaller motors since it's a lot cheaper. I take it it's too late to swap them for some 3Nm ones, such as these:

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/sy60sth883008-nema-stepper-motor-p-118.html?cPath=45_81

I think you'd end up better off and have some money to spare for others expensive things, like a kress spindle for instance (next on my wishlist).
Wish I could afford to buy 12Nm motors for the X axis on my big router!

Are you OK with connecting the breakout board?

Toddy
17-11-2010, 10:50 AM
My thoughts were if i got the 12nm motors then im covered for all events but didnt realise the actual size and weight,(thinking of gantry weight)at least im not going to burn out motors, But on your advice will invest in the 3nm ones if they will run with the psu`s and drivers i have. I will keep the big motors fur future bigger tables. FYI, this is my first cnc build and hoping for plenty off help. I`m also looking at v-carve as i want to do detail work.
Yes kress look good but i must be aware of noise lvl (hate living next to people)but wont stop me, cheers

Jonathan
17-11-2010, 01:05 PM
But on your advice will invest in the 3nm ones if they will run with the psu`s and drivers i have.

Yes they will run very well with those drivers and power supplies. The motors I linked to are the best value size 23 motors I could find. I've got 4 of them not and havn't been dissapointed...

I will keep the big motors fur future bigger tables.

Let me know if you decide to sell them :naughty:

FYI, this is my first cnc build and hoping for plenty off help. I`m also looking at v-carve as i want to do detail work.
Yes kress look good but i must be aware of noise lvl (hate living next to people)but wont stop me, cheers

Can't comment on V-carve, not used it. Seen pictures of some pretty impressive things made with that though.

Kress spindles are much quieter than normal routers. I'll get one at some point, christmas is approaching.

Toddy
23-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Jonathan, Got the smaller stepper motors you said,sorry to annoy you but can you give me a rundown on the wiring of these motors for highest resolution to driver boards and breakout board. Would be gratefull for your help as my head just spins every time i try to figure out the wiring.

Lee Roberts
23-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Have a look at this Toddy: http://www.axiscnc.com/pdfdocs/wiring.pdf

The above is what i send my customers and they seem to get on ok, just take your time and double check everything.

Its not to difficult once you've done it a few times, you should look at your drivers for resolution setup also.

Lee