PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: taking the back off a stepper

blackburn mark
19-11-2010, 05:28 PM
im on the cusp of wiring my steppers up, however, as they are it will be a bit of a pain to make a nice tidy job at the stepper end,,, is it possible to take the back off a stepper like this without ruining it (iv read that splitting them damages the magnets)3380
57BYGH76-401A

there are 4 screws at the nose running through the entire length of the stepper to the back... i get the uncofortable feeling the whole thing will come apart

M250cnc
19-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I have seen some covers made from Acetal made to allow connection to a IP66 plug/socket don't have a link but they looked nice.

Sadly the guy is in the states, as for taking the motor apart wait till someone who knows answers.

Phil

John S
19-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes you can take the back off but it has to be in a clean non metallic environment.
Do not remove the rotor.

What about using these potting boxes from Arceurotrade, clearance hole in the bottom for the leads, cable in from one side and soldered / heat shrinked joints inside and super glued on.

blackburn mark
19-11-2010, 06:32 PM
nice one john :)

ill have a cautious look later

if i get a spring in my eye ill sue you for every hobnob youve got

John S
19-11-2010, 08:02 PM
not got any - ate them and that bastard, Hilton Steve wasn't in the other day when I went up to nick [ sorry borrow ] some more .

Robin Hewitt
19-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Watch out for a stack of slim washers behind the bearing which will want to zoom into the magnets and gum the works up given half a chance.

blackburn mark
19-11-2010, 10:34 PM
not got any - ate them

sod it... anyway, id eat hobnobs but id be thinking of jaffa cakes :)

Watch out for a stack of slim washers

cheers robin, ill go in there like a brain surgeon, iv got an extra stepper (untill i build a 4th axis) so if it all goes pear shaped ill get by

i2i
19-11-2010, 11:49 PM
take the back off, turn it over and bang it on the end of a table. make sure there's a load of swarf on the floor, and i can virtually guarantee it won't work again.

M250cnc
30-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I mentioned a complete cover in an earlier post, here is a link for it, it's for size 23 motors only

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=296

Phil

blackburn mark
30-11-2010, 03:21 PM
nice one phil... to late now, iv wired them up without taking the back off

i did take the back off my 4th axis stepper but the rotor touched the sides, it might be damaged now which would be a downer, it was my quietest motor

Einar
06-10-2012, 08:12 PM
If it's a decent quality motor you'll be fine as long as it did not touch violently and you got the lid back on straight. If it makes noise try to turn the back. It usually fits 4 ways, and on really cheap motors it can make a difference.

If you take the rotor out of the housing not using the right procedure the magnets may be weakened. But then again this is not a firm rule.

It is however always a risk, so don't split a stepper or BLDC servo motor for no good reason.