PDA

View Full Version : UK cnc kit suppliers

Web Goblin
23-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi all,
can anyone recommend any UK cnc kit suppliers, that is not Marchant Dice, for a small cnc router kit machine. Max bed size would be around 1000mm x 600mm.
I am looking at building a small cnc router to add to my wood working workshop.

regards

Ian

M250cnc
24-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Ian,

I guess the lack of replies says no, maybe just do what everyone else does and build your own.

Phil

Web Goblin
24-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Phil,
Looks that way. I have been looking at linear rails and bearings today and have found a few aluminium extrusion companies so looks like a bit of diy is coming up.

Regards

Ian

m.marino
25-11-2010, 02:54 PM
You know this points to a market that is under served. Hmmmm, Can I take on another project without the wife killing me...... ......thinking........ ........nah too much on the plate as it is.

AdCNC
25-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Watch this space :-) ............

D-man
09-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Ooo what you got in mind Adam ;)

Zephyr
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I've been in this position for months - wanting to build but not having a workshop. Some people volunteered to help make the parts then changed their minds. In the end I decided to go for a kit but even then the kit wanted some machining. So I thought long and hard and ordered a complete machine. The time and extra tools that I save will help to pay for the extra cost. I'm far from rich but this is the solution for me. It means I can be producing items for sale a little earlier and hopefully recoup the cost and even start to earn my living...

After looking through quite a few adverts, machine suppliers in the UK etc., I decide on Rhonmac. I've spoken to him on the phone and emails have been exchanged and for me he was the best solution. He seems quite helpful. Try him and see...

If anyone is interested I'll start a thread about my experiences starting in this field with extremely little experience or knowledge about it. Not everyone looking at this site is a machinist with an engineering workshop.

Good luck.

Keith.

D-man
10-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi,

After looking through quite a few adverts, machine suppliers in the UK etc., I decide on Rhonmac. I've spoken to him on the phone and emails have been exchanged and for me he was the best solution. He seems quite helpful. Try him and see...

If anyone is interested I'll start a thread about my experiences starting in this field with extremely little experience or knowledge about it. Not everyone looking at this site is a machinist with an engineering workshop.

Good luck.

Keith.

That would be a great idea fella

Nugget
28-06-2013, 02:58 PM
I am new to CNC and intended it for hobby projects. There seem to be a great range in cost from £100s to 10s of thousands. I wasn’t about to find a web site that gave an overview of CNC routers/mills, i.e all the components parts and workflow. I have a diagram of what I can glean and nwould like to invite site users to comment and improve the diagram for CNC newbies. I wish to create PCBs, engrave, cut shapes from sheets, render 3D shapes, drill holes in materials such as acrylic, copper, brass and aluminium alloy (softer alloys 1000 series pos 5000 series). Is this feasible on a £500-600 budget? Thanks for any help.

martin54
28-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Probably your best bet would be to read through some of the build logs, this will help explain a lot of things you may have questions about & give you a better insight into individual components which vary in cost tremendously as do complete machines.
Unlikely you are going to be able to buy a machine that will do everything you want it to well with that sort of budget. What sort of size machine you would like will also play a big factor.

GEOFFREY
28-06-2013, 06:49 PM
It still looks to me that the mycncuk router project would have been worth a try! Any chance of reviving it? G.

dazza
29-06-2013, 09:43 AM
agreed,im not keen on taking on machineing for others with my limited skills but would gladly donate to a pot to get a proof of concept knocked up,if nothing comes of it we could always raffle off the machine to mycncuk members and put the money to a good cause.

Swarfing
29-06-2013, 09:40 PM
G... All this will take is somebody to come up with a set of drawings, a BOM, guide on price and likely suppliers. Also some simply step by step guides. The problem is everybody will want different things for their machine. The other issue is 'Critic', too many people will have too much to say about everything all for the wrong reasons.

There done it now, came out said what nobody else will admit too. personally i like the idea the same as you. You do have to look at it from the other side as well. What would be the point of this forum if all you needed to do was pickup and go? the easiest way to build a machine is spark up a thread, say what you want to do in a polite manner and help usually coves your way :very_drunk:

Hope i have not sounded too negative???

richie00boy
07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I am new to CNC and intended it for hobby projects. There seem to be a great range in cost from £100s to 10s of thousands. I wasn’t about to find a web site that gave an overview of CNC routers/mills, i.e all the components parts and workflow. I have a diagram of what I can glean and nwould like to invite site users to comment and improve the diagram for CNC newbies. I wish to create PCBs, engrave, cut shapes from sheets, render 3D shapes, drill holes in materials such as acrylic, copper, brass and aluminium alloy (softer alloys 1000 series pos 5000 series). Is this feasible on a £500-600 budget? Thanks for any help.

What size do you need? I got a 3020 machine off ebay for much the same things as you have said there and it's OK for the low cost.

Nugget
30-07-2013, 12:05 PM
What size do you need? I got a 3020 machine off ebay for much the same things as you have said there and it's OK for the low cost.

thanks for the reply. sorry for my very slow reply indeed. these Chinese machines look interesting. they look solidly made and are cheaper than similar looking offerings. actually I only require to make small items, the size of the 3020 would probably be fine. is it okay with only one stepper on the gantry? when you got it from ebay what about vat and import duties. who do you talk to if there is a problem.

I have also come across other means of controlling cnc machines - use of embedded microcontroller with g-code interpreters. one that looks good was smoothie project running on an ARM microcontroller. it seems to make sense that an external controller does the work since it likely to be more real time than a PC. can a chassis+motors+spindle be sought and then add the motor controller, embedded/usb controller?

Nugget
30-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Probably your best bet would be to read through some of the build logs, this will help explain a lot of things you may have questions about & give you a better insight into individual components which vary in cost tremendously as do complete machines.
Unlikely you are going to be able to buy a machine that will do everything you want it to well with that sort of budget. What sort of size machine you would like will also play a big factor.

thanks for the reply. sorry for my very tardy response.

Actually a relatively small device is required - desktop size for small metal pieces for models/small prototypes and circuit boards. The build logs look interesting but experimenting seems expensive and I can't make sophisticated parts myself.

Jonathan
30-07-2013, 12:45 PM
The build logs look interesting but experimenting seems expensive and I can't make sophisticated parts myself.

The build logs mean there is no need to experiment - you can simply copy, although personally I'd always prefer to design something new. Plenty are done without making your own 'sophisticated' parts.

martin54
30-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Be careful if your looking to buy one of these, the physical size might be just what your needing but if you are looking to cut metals then it might not do such a good job.

Nugget
30-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Be careful if your looking to buy one of these, the physical size might be just what your needing but if you are looking to cut metals then it might not do such a good job.
The metals of interest would be thin sheet ally (1000 series), brass and possibly copper. I'm not interested in carving out engine blocks. There are videos of 3020's milling ally. Are you concerned about precision, wear and tear on the spindle and bearings/screws?

Nugget
30-07-2013, 07:33 PM
The build logs mean there is no need to experiment - you can simply copy, although personally I'd always prefer to design something new. Plenty are done without making your own 'sophisticated' parts.
By sophisticated parts I mean requiring a mill of lathe or one requiring high precision.

I have a look at several build logs and they are a bit chatty, not much detail. Are there any build logs you have come across that are particularly good? Thanks for the assistance.