PDA

View Full Version : Snow ...

Wobblybootie
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Ah well it had to happen ... South Dorset now has a couple of inches and very fine snow falling ... Total CHAOS ... all schools closed. Cars lying around all over the place.

Why can't we get our s*~t together? This country is a joke!!

Jonathan
02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Got plenty here - more than I've ever seen before, though I guess that's not saying much! It was snowing at 9am, it stopped less than an hour ago but I'm not sure how much of that settled.

People are sledging and snowboarding on the downs on campus :smile: At least one forum member will know where I mean...

I reckon I'll design a plywood 'flat pack' sledge to cut out on my CNC router and start selling them.

Kai
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
lol I know what you mean I'm in hull we have had snow on the ground since last Wednesday and it's caos here we have a 4x4 shogun and all those that took the P**s out of us when we bought it 3 years ago can pull there own cars out lol we have pulled dozens out so far more BMW's than anything else hehehe.

Web Goblin
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Having a crap time in Central Scotland near Stirling. Wife wont drive the Zafira, damn thing spins the wheels asason as you touch the throttle so shes got my little corsa work mobile and Ive got the Zaffy. Main roads arent too bad most of the time but the side roads and residential streets are a nightmare. Schools are going to be closed all week and this is really pi88ing me off. Teachers will get paid to be off school and we are left either taking holidays from work, unpaid leave or trying to pay for extra childcare!
I bet people from around Sweden and the Netherlands are having a damn good laugh at us right now.

Regards

Ian

Robin Hewitt
02-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I've got £20k worth of Christmas stock stuck at Gatnick waiting for a snow plough :eek:

Wobblybootie
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Lets hope the Ploughs GPS can find Gatnick :lol: ... But hope it all comes out OK for you!!

BillTodd
02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Lets hope the Ploughs GPS can find Gatnick :lol:

It's somewhere close to Gatport Airwick

We've had about 2-3" overnight and it's still falling :(

Bill

i2i
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I haven't got any snow.....i feel all left out now.:cry::cry:

Robin Hewitt
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
It's somewhere close to Gatport Airwick

The flight was diverted to Thiefrow so it's really running the gauntlet :whistling:

Wobblybootie
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Starting to thaw now but heavy frost tonight forecast ... Now that will really cause chaos ... frozen slush and black ice, bloody un-gritted rural (my patch) roads and it will be like a demolition derby again :naughty:. SWMBO got to work (23 miles) with no real problems ... ruddy patients living within the clinic catchment area of about a 4 mile radius (central Bournemouth) couldn't make their appointments!! :rolleyes:

Peter Griffin
02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Plenty of snow here in Biggin Hill. Loads of abandoned cars, usless drivers & and not a gritter in sight. Gritters probably won't come out because of Health & Safety issues.

Jonathan
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Got plenty here - more than I've ever seen before, though I guess that's not saying much! It was snowing at 9am, it stopped less than an hour ago but I'm not sure how much of that settled.

People are sledging and snowboarding on the downs on campus At least one forum member will know where I mean...

I reckon I'll design a plywood 'flat pack' sledge to cut out on my CNC router and start selling them.

Swarfing
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
well there is not enough here so if you can spare a bit to give me a few days off work then send it down PLEASE! its was the early 80's the last time we had enough to cause real disruption (the days when heating just about become affordable). Not to forget 76? it was not just heat that year but 6ft drifts everywhere.

BillTodd
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
The flight was diverted to Thiefrow so it's really running the gauntlet :whistling:
At least it didn't come from Lootin' Airport ;)

8iggles
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
well there is not enough here so if you can spare a bit to give me a few days off work then send it down PLEASE! its was the early 80's the last time we had enough to cause real disruption (the days when heating just about become affordable). Not to forget 76? it was not just heat that year but 6ft drifts everywhere.

Don't be shy - come and fetch as much as you want.

Been off work 2 days so far and snowplough nowhere to be seen, its about a foot deep on the road!!

Theres a Ford Ka underneath in the last pic

Swarfing
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Do you think a courier will fetch it for us? I won't show these pics to the kids, they've been dying to get the sledge out i made back in Feb (the day before it melted)

8iggles
02-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd like to be able to get car out and bring you some - its madness here, walked to supermarket today and anyone would think it was Armageddon...no milk left and fighting over bread!
Never thought I'd say it but let me get back to work - well on Monday :)

Swarfing
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
All jokes aside i do not envy you guys could just do with some time off to get some of the projects finished. Snagged a couple of fire extinguishers to build a small box stove for the garage. a few feet of snow would make it much warmer. the problem with a garage full of steel is the bloody cold. Brrrrrrrrrrr.........

Robin Hewitt
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I've been packing snow in to plastic tanks and stacking them in the garage.

One kilo of snow today will become one litre of distilled water by next week.

It's very useful stuff to have around.

Web Goblin
03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Robin,
only if it thaws out.
My windscreen wahser bottle has been frozen solid from last Saturday so I have been carrying a Skooshy bottle of windscreen wash/de-icer mixture around in the car with me. Its now sitting on my desk trying to thaw out. Minus 11 at the house this morning at 04-45 and dipped to minus 12.5 on the way to Glasgow. Bottle of stuff frozen solid.
Zafira also took a few extra turns to fire up this morning.
The thermal overalls have come out of hibernation as well.

Regards

Ian

Jonathan
03-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been packing snow in to plastic tanks and stacking them in the garage.

One kilo of snow today will become one litre of distilled water by next week.

It's very useful stuff to have around.

Wow excellent idea, I wonder if it's pure enough for anodising...?

Robin Hewitt
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow excellent idea, I wonder if it's pure enough for anodising...?

It is pure as the driven snow :smile:

It is actually purer than rain water because when it freezes any dissolved gas has to come out of solution.

That's why Coke cans explode if you leave them in the ice box :naughty:

Wobblybootie
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Well a quick Sitrep ... it rained ... all snow now gone ...

Lee Roberts
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Not much snow here for us, started off well last night and then rained this morning :-(.

O well by the power of Merlin:

" Let there be snow on the mycncuk website, Whoosh’s *Ting* "

and from that moment on snow fell on the mycncuk content!

Lee

Wobblybootie
04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmmm wonders if I will get snowed in on the Forum ... Could think of worse places ...

Swarfing
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Would be even better Lee if Santa was here also bringing us lots of Pezzies?

Lee Roberts
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Hmmm wonders if I will get snowed in on the Forum ... Could think of worse places ...

Sticky snow now enabled, if you look at the bottom of the browser window you will see the snow building up !

Lee

BillTodd
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Lee, the stuff falling on this page is Blue - you know, like blue ice (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blue+ice&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a) ;)

Lee Roberts
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Lee, the stuff falling on this page is Blue - you know, like blue ice (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blue+ice&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a) ;)

Yup, white snow dosnt show up on a white background - you know, :whistling:

ecat
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
The snow gathers at the bottom of the browser window, neat. Can you make it so that when I shake the window all the fallen snow whooshes around again ? :)

tumutbound
06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm intrigued by this 'snow' of which you speak.
And it falls from the sky you say?
What a strange place :whistling:

Web Goblin
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Personally I've had enough of the stuff to last a life time. I had cleared the driveway twice over the last week and now have mounds of snow around 1 metre deep in the garden. the blizzard yesterday dumped about another 150mm of the crap and i've just spent the last 4 hours digging the driveway out again and getting our abandoned cars back to the house.
I left work yesterday at 11am when our place decided to close due to the weather conditions. Arrived home at 21-10pm last night. 10 hour journey for 30 miles which usually takes me 45 minutes. Got stuck a few times and some very nice people helped me out, many thanks to them. Last night was terrible on the roads here. Loads of people stuck all day and through the night as well.
I hope this crappy weather ends soon.

Regards

Ian

Wobblybootie
07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Know the feeling although our snow is now a distant memory it's quite chilly and folks around here are driving as if on pure ice!! I spent the best part of 15 months driving around above the Arctic circle (Jan-Mar/Apr) each year, mind you that's with tracks, 4X4 or 4X6 + studs and chains when necessary but to be honest most of us don't really know what real winter driving is like. We seem to get caught with our pants down every year. Back in Norway at the first sign of a snowflake the farmers are out clearing a stretch of road between them and the next farm/village. So the main ploughs and snow blowers have a head start. I cannot see that happening here ... or am I just a cynical old bugger.

Web Goblin
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Your a cynical old bugger!!
Yea I can see that happening over here. Guy from the council drove a jcb down the street today in an attempt to clear the road. The only problem with that was that he had the standard shovel on the front with the teeth on. He couldnt get right down to the road incase he dug it up. Now we have about 75mm of compacted snow/ice on the road. A couple of guys in a tipper came round behind him shovelling grit onto the snow. Many thanks to them for filling my wheel barrow with grit though.

regards

Ian

Kai
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
We now have the addred fun of where people have dug out the drives and the bit of road in front of there house so now we have ice---road big bloody lip and ohhh slow drivers stuck in hole. I have a 4x4 and have spent the last week pulling people out of ditches rutts grass verges etc it was nice to be wanted for a few day but that has more than warn off now more so with the same people comming time and time again "can you pull me out I'm stuck" I did suggest maybe leave thecar on the drive till the roads get better hint hint. No I got back well that would mean I have to walk for my finacial times if I did that.
At this point I have given the car to my wife and now she takes it to work, they are still knocking and asking if my wife will come home from work to get them out.
Answer NO SORRY LEAVE THE CAR ON THE DRIVE.

i2i
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I haven't got any snow.....i feel all left out now.:cry::cry:i still haven't got any...:eek::wink:

Wobblybootie
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Nor have we ... but you'd think we had 2ft the way they are driving ...

Kai
08-12-2010, 12:50 AM
If it helps we no longer have any snow its all bloody ice now 4 inches minimum lol hmmm now where did I put my ice skates.

Lee Roberts
11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Not much snow here for us, started off well last night and then rained this morning :-(.

O well by the power of Merlin:

" Let there be snow on the mycncuk website, Whoosh’s *Ting* "

and from that moment on snow fell on the mycncuk content!

Lee

No more snow here, its giving people problems on a slow connection.

Lee

i2i
17-12-2010, 11:41 AM
well i'll be bu******, i've got snow:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Jonathan
17-12-2010, 02:19 PM
well i'll be bu******, i've got snow:smile::smile::smile::smile:

Same here! Though only a little...

i2i
17-12-2010, 02:37 PM
at least 4" so far and still snowing heavily. I'm glad i don't need to go anywhere till next week.:heehee:

irving2008
19-12-2010, 04:12 PM
we had 6" dumped on us in NW London yesterday, and my friends in a village just north of Bedford are snowed in with over 12"... and its -3 out so its not going anywhere any time soon... :sad:

gorbo
19-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I have a gauge outside and it read -9c at the moment !!!!!

Peter Griffin
20-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Just got home. Gauge in in the car read -13

Wobblybootie
20-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, well, well ... It appears it's our turn again ... large flakes, falling rapidly, 2" since 06:00 and no sign of slowing down. SWMBO was organised this year so we are ready for the visit of the Jolly Chappie in the Red Suit and Wellies. Getting to Poole for a funeral tomorrow may be interesting. The main road will be clear but getting to the main road will be the problem ...

Gary
20-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Snowed last night and we had about 3 inches but most of the main roads in bournemouth seem to be clear and it is raining now in bournemouth.
However a mile north of bournemouth and it is snowing heavily and most of the roads are chocker full with trafic that is not moving and very icy.
Couldnt get into the office today and UPS wont even pickup.
It amazes me how the whole of the UK stops with just a few inches of snow.

i2i
20-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I've just had a walk round the main road and there still hasn't been any gritting, the roads are useable but very slippery.
Cardiff normally doesn't get much snow, so it must be bad everywhere else.

tumutbound
20-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Not to feel completely left out, I can report snow in Australia! (http://www.news.com.au/national/bitter-summer-freeze-bites-eastern-states-as-summer-gives-way-to-snow-and-cold/story-e6frfkvr-1225974173962)

While it's unusual at this time of the year, fortunately it's confined to the ski resorts which are a comfortable few hundred kilometres from me.
Mind you, it is going to get down to a chilly 17c tonight. Any more of this and I'll have to get the blankets out of mothballs.:wink: