PDA

View Full Version : Customers Question ned help to answer

Kai
10-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I have a poss customer they dont know how new I am to this and have asked me if this is possible.
I think it is but to be honest I have no idea how to do it.
They would like a small key fob with a 3d relife picture of there kids on it.
I have seen this done on you tube etc but how to get there and do it I think might be beyond me? I have had a good look round for a how to and tutorials but so far have not found anything of use to me.
I have solidworks cad and cam and I think it is poss to use these but again so far no luck with how?

Please tell me if you think this will be beyond me or my ability.
Better to know and say I can not do it rather than look like a fool.

FatFreddie
10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Try googling for lithophane and heightmap.

Only problem might be resolution - to give good results in a small space you'll need quite a small cutter.

M250cnc
10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Kai,

Well maybe it is beyond you at your current level of knowledge.

I dare say it could be done in Solid Works, what about asking your college tutor ?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Chas
10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Hello Kai.

I'm getting echoes from you of when I was a newbie (still am).

I have an ambition to 'strike' my own coin/medallion to commemorate the birth of my nephew, taking one of his birth photos & machining a die to re-strike a face of a Gold Sovereign. I spent about 40hrs on the project getting to the stage of actually machining a few experimental dies before I realised that to progress the project further would need 100's more hours & £1000's in software, materials & equipment with no guarantee of 100% success to my satisfaction.

http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/examples/img_emboss.html

This is a site I learned a lot from.

I reckon if you can crack the process, taking a photo & then being able to strike a coin/medallion could earn you a good living !

Chas
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
P.S.

If you want to make £money, a little money, not a LOT of money, but certainly enough money to justify your hobby, maybe even raise the cash to upgrade your equipment, then PM me.

I have a simple product that sells well, with my equipment I can earn £6-7ph for my labour, it's a great learning experience & can possibly lead to bigger & more profitable items. I can sell everyone that I make but I simply don't have the time.

M250cnc
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I reckon if you can crack the process, taking a photo & then being able to strike a coin/medallion could earn you a good living !

You would only need to make a die if you wanted to mass produce them.

I would estimate 30 minutes software time to do this.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Chas
10-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Please tell us how you would do this in only 30mins, isn't that what this site is all about?

FatFreddie
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Please tell us how you would do this in only 30mins, isn't that what this site is all about?
use the heightmap generator in cambam ;-)

Kai
11-12-2010, 01:27 AM
I had a look at that and a tutorial I found the chap said he soaked it in a coloured solution to get the right image.