PDA

View Full Version : Workshop dust extraction...help!

Jonathan
01-01-2011, 11:45 PM
What do people here use for dust extraction on their CNC router? Something that'll pick up fine MDF dust....

I'm thinking of getting one of these, is that a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-SM-Economy-Dust-Chip-Extractor-1hp-/160417191695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25599c170f

Thanks in advance...

ptjw7uk
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Problem with fine dust extraction is the clogging of the filters.
Most woodwork shops do it using 2 filter extraction systems a high rate coarse filter as in the one you pictured and a fine dust air borne dust system.
The fine dust one you can usually make yourself, just a fan, a box and some fine filters.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-mtm-air-filter-prod22779/
You can buy the parts from Axminster( foot of page)
It will ultimately depend on how much dust you make.
I use a Dewalt extractor which removes most of the dust but it needs to be cleared of the fine dust else it slows up. They used to make a fine weave bag but that needed a holder to hold the bag up and that really clogged easliy(I cannot find them on the web so I dont think they are made now)
Anyway if you are doing lots then the one you showed is better , the 100mm will allow lots of air flow and should also extract the larger chips, well mine does. I also use mine on the planer and that really makes chips!!

Peter

Swarfing
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Consider putting a cyclone bin in between which will cut down a lot of the clogging and you make one of those. Just google homebrew cyclone.

Web Goblin
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I have an extractor in the workshop which is a steel drum with two 1000w motors inside the hood. This makes a good extractor and vacuum for cleaning up the floor. I also have a sliding attachment to fit to the back of my lathe which the extraction hood runs along so that I can move it to suit where I am working. I also have one of the Axminster box type air filters in the roof space of the shop as well for filtering the air. This works quite well but if I ever wanted another I would make one from 9mm mdf. The unit is simply a box with a fan at one end and a filter at the other. Rolls of filter material are not hard to come by and a simple kitchen type extractor fan would do the job.

Ian

Web Goblin
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Photo of my air filter installed in the roof space above my wood lathe. These are good for collecting all the dust that the extractor misses.

Ian

Jonathan
03-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the information so far...

I think I'll get one of the dust extractors I linked to in my first post. Will it definitely be powerful enough to pick up the fine dust? I'm thinking of connecting the output to a 'lean to' outside the workshop with a bin underneath. That should avoid the problem of fine dust getting through the bag.

I've got a big fan somewhere that might be suitable to make an air filter, so if necessary I can do that.

Web Goblin
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Most of the extractors will be powerful enough if you get the end of the hose close enough to the job. As to wether it will remove the fine dust depends on the filter.
Remember that if you fit the extractor outside the workshop you will be extracting lots of nice warm air along with the dust.

Ian

M250cnc
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Remember that if you fit the extractor outside the workshop you will be extracting lots of nice warm air along with the dust.

Ian

And that nice warm air will be replaced with very cold air at this time of year.

MDF dust is the worst to get rid of and its even harder to move once its settled, you could have an airline in your dustshoe with fine nozzle and give a manual blast of air to get the dust airborne then the extractor with move it but not so much that it exits the dustshoe.

Phil

ptjw7uk
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
If you are putting the extractor outside then inclose it and put a fine particle filter in the wall between you and the extractor.
You will not then need a separate fileter and all your heat will return!
Mind you will have fun sealing the outside hut!!
peter