PDA

View Full Version : Single or double??

Wobblybootie
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Ok Folks, Lead screw support bearings (fixed end) ... a pair of single row angular contact or a solo double row bearing??? that is the question.

Answers, as simple as possible but with reasons please.

C_Bubba
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Tim,
a pair of single row angular contact bearings as you can eliminate any backlash. A single (inexpensive) double row bearing may or may not have backlash problems.

mmcp42
06-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm interested in the answer to this as I am at the design stage too
do you have a picture for the hard of thinking?

M250cnc
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm interested in the answer to this as I am at the design stage too
do you have a picture for the hard of thinking?

Have you checked your blog ?

Phil

Wobblybootie
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
OK thanks for that ... I was leaning toward a pair of singles as that seems to be what most folks opt for ...

mmcp42
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Have you checked your blog ?

Phil

indeed I have
would still like a picture though!

blackburn mark
06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
iv got single a/c bearings on my x axis screws at the moment,,,, im having problems with them being to tight on the shaft (my mistake) if i put to much tension on them i wont be able to back them off :( and to take them off the shaft i will damage them. anyway they have been a pain in the jacksy

iv bought two double row A/C's to put in (when i find the time) the only disadvantage iv spotted with the double row is there are fewer balls so lower stress raiting... i cant see this being a problem, they will have a very easy life on a router

if your getting any backlash worth mentioning with double row a/c I'd suspect that some cheeky sod has sold you double row deap grove bearings as angular contacts or they are duds

Wobblybootie
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Cheers, I'll bear those points in mind ...