PDA

View Full Version : best cam package for me?

iamspuddy
19-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone ,im just getting into the manufacturing side of things.

Currently i design parts using solidworks send files to people as dxf files who then make the parts for me.

i would like to learn the next process myself. i.e converting dxf or iges files into the program ,toolpath that the machine can use. so what do i need and whats a good easy to learn software package that would enable me to convert my solidworks models into aluminium parts using an xyz mill or lathe.

thanks steve.

FatFreddie
20-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi Steve,

What sort of parts do you produce now and what would you like to produce in the future?

Mark

M250cnc
20-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Steve you come across from your post as having no experience of machining.

So I would suggest software that has good simulation. This would allow you to see what happens when you make a mistake in ordering the toolpaths. This all happens before you take it to the machine.

You need to check out demos or in some cases you can have an online demo to see if it suits you.

The zone has forums for the most popular software, there you will see the good and bad side of the programs.

The fact that you are using solidworks, I would start with solidcam.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

iamspuddy
20-01-2011, 08:56 AM
the parts i make are mainly for race motorcycles,big parts like yokes , to brackets and bushes.
i was a toolmaker, but that was 20yrs ago and things have moved on a bit,and i want to catch up.

As you know i currently use solidworks, so will any cam package talk to any machine? i have the chance to play with an xyz mill. This mill has proto trak on it and the current software that they dont use is an old version of bobcad. So if i learn how to use one cnc or solidcam for instance,is that all i need, or do i need something else to them make the machine cut what i have designed.

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appriciated.

thanks steve.

M250cnc
20-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Steve I use onecnc I tried lots of demos, but having seen how easy onecnc is to use that is what I went with.

Onecnc is a solid works partner so having imported your part, then any further manipulation required.

Then you choose a machining strategy you can see how long the part will take to machine using the tools you have specified, when you are happy you then POST the code.

You do this using a post processor for your machine. All cams have pre made post processors supplied.

But onecnc has a stupid easy pp editor, or they will customize your post for you.

Then just transfer it to the machine and away you go.

There are no bad comments about onecnc's functionality.

Phil

ptjw7uk
20-01-2011, 10:22 AM
OneCNC
So how much does it cost!!
Tried the web and all they want to do is come and demonstrate - so sounds expensive!!

Peter

M250cnc
20-01-2011, 10:35 AM
OneCNC
So how much does it cost!!
Tried the web and all they want to do is come and demonstrate - so sounds expensive!!

Peter

Peter they do online demos, if you want to know how much it costs give them a call.

They include one days training, but I convinced them I didn't need it and got a better price.

It's the nuts.

Phil

El$syd
17-03-2011, 12:51 PM
the parts i make are mainly for race motorcycles,big parts like yokes , to brackets and bushes.
i was a toolmaker, but that was 20yrs ago and things have moved on a bit,and i want to catch up.

As you know i currently use solidworks, so will any cam package talk to any machine? i have the chance to play with an xyz mill. This mill has proto trak on it and the current software that they dont use is an old version of bobcad. So if i learn how to use one cnc or solidcam for instance,is that all i need, or do i need something else to them make the machine cut what i have designed.

any advice or recommendations would be greatly appriciated.

thanks steve.

Have you looked at Easymill? www.easymill.co.uk or RDLVltd.weebly.com - price is £375 for hobbyists.