PDA

View Full Version : Lathes

Web Goblin
20-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Evening all,
I am thinking about putting my myford ml7 lathe up for sale and getting something a bit newer and possibly better. I would really like a bit more power than the myford has.
I was having a quick look around and have came across the Amadeal lathes, american I think. I was looking at an CJ23B-750 variable speed lathe and was wondering if anyone has any experience on these lathes?

Regards

Ian

M250cnc
21-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Ian with all due respect i think you need your head testing.:smile:

I personally are not a fan of Myford lathes i haven't as some people may think.

Spent the last 15 years with a cup o tea in one hand and a fag in the other and wondering which hand to scratch your arseThanks Mark.:confused:

I don't like the soft bed and lack of adjustment of the saddle they score and wear badly and yes i have used them.

I would not buy the lathe you picked either, my first choice would be to up the power for what you already have or buy an older machine.

I would heartily recommend a Harrison M250 or maybe an M300 or a Colchester

You would get a good price for the Myford should you wish to sell but don't Downgrade to that.

Phil

Web Goblin
21-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. Like I said I dont know much about the quality of these lathes so was looking for some advice.
Personally I'm not keen on the myford myself. I have access to a Colchester at work and even though its a bit worn its a nice lathe. Although if I put one of those in my workshop in might go through the floor.
I will have to keep looking.

Ian

Web Goblin
16-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have or know about the Harrison L5 or L10 lathes. I would like to know approximately what weight they are. I have tried Harrison but they do not keep records that far back. I think it would be the earlier models.

Regards

Ian

m_c
17-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Have you checked http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/index.html ?

Web Goblin
17-02-2011, 06:56 AM
I have had a look through lathes.co.uk and even phoned Harrison but apparently they did not keep records of machine weights back then.
I think it will be over 500KG so its going to be too heavy for me.

Ian

m_c
17-02-2011, 11:57 AM
A quick google threw this (http://www.shiply.com/transport/Harrison-L5-Metal-Lathe/339869/) up, which puts an L5 about 700kg.

Web Goblin
17-02-2011, 12:10 PM
m_c,
thats damn annoying. I spent ages last night searching for a weight on that thing and got nowhere. Obviously I wasnt asking google the right questions. Even Harrison didnt know.
Looks like I will probably part company with my Myford ML7 and end up looking for a Boxford.

Regards

Ian

Web Goblin
18-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Can anyone give a comparison between the Boxford BUD and a Myford Super 7?
I am still looking at lathes and have come up with these two. I have never seen or used a Boxford before.

regards

Ian