PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas

jpcnc
28-01-2011, 06:45 PM
The by-product of my new machining service is clean rubber, I can sell this on to a number of customers for a number of uses, but its going to be long strings ( its being turned off tyres ) its worth more granulated, I need to design and build a machine to chop it up into small chippings. Any ideas?

Ross77
28-01-2011, 07:22 PM
How about a garden shredder that you use for branches and tree cuttings etc ?

m_c
28-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Garden shredders aren't really cut out for anything more than twigs!

As you'll know, the problem with rubber is blades need to be sharp, and tolerances kept tight.
I'm struggling to think of a method that doesn't involve large amounts of horsepower or pressure :-/

blackburn mark
28-01-2011, 09:14 PM
interlocking wheels with notches seems to be the most widely used method of shreading anything from paper to hard drives... a really simple concept, probably a pain to impliment

as its rubber strands your chopping i would have thought you would need contact between your interlocking wheels to "sissor" the rubber so at a guess id say that means hardend wheels or maybe belleville washers/ springs to keep tension on the cutting surfaces

to get consistent sizes of grain you will need a way of returning the rubber into the hopper untill its small enough to drop through whatever size grate/mesh etc

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 03:56 PM
This is very hard, the scissor idea needs to be there, ive also got to be carefull that it doesnt rao itself up

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I need to design and build a machine to chop it up into small chippings. Any ideas?

I thought you were designing this machine. :lol:

What is the quantity per week.

What size are these long strips.

Are they all long/same length.

Are they all the same size cross section.

What is the cross sectional size.

Phil

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Im trying too lol! The strips could be up to 5m long at a guess, all similar lengths, with a cross section of around 4mm. Should be up to 100kg per week maybe more

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 05:18 PM
The strips could be up to 5m long at a guess, all similar lengths, with a cross section of around 4mm. Should be up to 100kg per week maybe more

Yeah that sounds quite easy then, any remuneration on offer. :whistling:

Phil

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I was thinking along those lines too, it would however need some kind of constant presure to ffed it in though.
You making an offer phil ??

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 06:11 PM
would an industrial butchers mincer be any good? or at least the way they work.. maybe make something knocked up on a larger scale.

Meat grinders work on the principle that you force the Shite into a screw, as that screw is turning it forces the shite through a die to produce the finest produce mince. Don't try that with rubber.

Phil

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I was thinking along those lines too, it would however need some kind of constant presure to ffed it in though.
You making an offer phil ??

JP i am more than certain my idea would work, you would need some varied machinery to do it but it is easy enough i don't know if you have the required machinery to be able to make it though.

As this is a commercial enterprise i think some reward would be good for the best idea seeing how you will be making a shed load of money. :lol:

Phil

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I have a precision engineering company that has the machines to make most of the parts I need, its just weighing up the cost though as I can still sell this as it is, as I mentioned this is just a waste product of my other machine service, if I can sell it or make something with it then its an extra bonus

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a precision engineering company that has the machines to make most of the parts I need, its just weighing up the cost though as I can still sell this as it is, as I mentioned this is just a waste product of my other machine service, if I can sell it or make something with it then its an extra bonus

You should have no problems then.

Do you want to know my idea ?

Phil

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah come on then lets have a listen...lol
Another idea I hed was a cylinder with a very abrasive rotating flat disc to almost grind it away into a heavy dust?

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah come on then lets have a listen...lol
Another idea I hed was a cylinder with a very abrasive rotating flat disc to almost grind it away into a heavy dust?

You have say five rubber faced rollers set two over three, similar to Olympic games emblem, in the centre of the rollers is a groove, this groove forms a channel to feed the cord to the die.

The rollers are 24mm diam they then feed the cord to a die the other side of the die is a rotating disk with six holes that form a shearing/scissor action.

The rollers and the disk are geared to run together, so one revolution of the rollers cuts 6 pieces of rubber at 4mm long, at 200 RPM you are cutting 4.8 metres per minute.

Phil

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Theres one big flaw with this, my waste strings are going to be in one big messy pile, your idea would mean keeping the lengths seperate then manually feeding each one into the rollers, im looking to pick up a big bunch at a time and stuff it in

Web Goblin
29-01-2011, 07:06 PM
What about a simple rotary cutter. Cutting disc with maybe 3 or 4 vent type cutters mounted on a motor shaft ( similar idea to a food mixer disc ? ). A tube could be used to feed to rubber to the cutter. Feed pressure supplied by a couple of rubber wheels.

Regards

Ian

Just read the last couple of posts. Need to type faster!!

i2i
29-01-2011, 07:21 PM
an oversized paper shredder with a funnel, would do the job

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Theres one big flaw with this, my waste strings are going to be in one big messy pile, your idea would mean keeping the lengths seperate then manually feeding each one into the rollers, im looking to pick up a big bunch at a time and stuff it in

I knew you were going to say that.

As the cord is cut it will be fed into the chopper.

While the operator is attending the machine he will be sorting the pile.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

jpcnc
29-01-2011, 07:40 PM
that depends on the nature of the cuttings, it also means adapting my machine which id rather not now

M250cnc
29-01-2011, 07:56 PM
that depends on the nature of the cuttings, it also means adapting my machine which id rather not now

That's why I asked you what the shape was.

To do it as a big pile, you are back to grinding. That will take a hell of a long time.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk