PDA

View Full Version : CAD dxf / dwg ???

Wobblybootie
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I want to prepare a drawing and save it in preparation for loading into a post processor for machining.

My questions are ...

What EXACTLY is saved? ... the outline of the object in 1st or 3rd angle or Isometric with all holes etc drawn?

Is a seperate Layer showing all dimensions, diameters etc required if the object is at 1:1?

Cheers
Tim

ricey3
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
the file contains the measurement vectors, so in answer to your question no, another layer is not required. I recomend checking though as there has been an odd occasion where a dxf file i've loaded into a CAM program has had scaling automatically applied for no reason.

Robin Hewitt
02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
a dxf file i've loaded into a CAM program has had scaling automatically applied for no reason.

If you scale drawing entities they lose their original size. However block insertions can have scaling, rotation and an optional XY mirror applied.

I think AutoCAD is fairly good at getting it right.

I'd suspect the CAM program picked up the block but didn't pick up the scaling so it reverted to it's original size. Easy to get around, you simply select everything and "explode" it :naughty: