PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sound from stepper motor & stalling

francooz
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I have recently replaced all the boards on an old cnc router that I got in non working condition. When I started it up it all worked great but now the x axis stepper is stalling and when stationairy it periodicly makes a clicking sound.

Is it just an old motor or there is something else going?

Mad Professor
05-02-2011, 01:10 PM
You say you have replaced all the boards.

By this I take it you mean the driver boards.

If so what make/model are the driver boards, and also what voltage are they running at?

Do you have any videos and or sound clips of when the steppers stall, and you get this clicking sound?

routercnc
06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Francooz

Although your problem sounds different to mine, some time ago I had a problem with stepper motors glitching. After alot of diagnosis work it turned out to be a faulty switched mode power supply.

Here's a link to that thread in case any of it is remotely useful.
http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1912-stepper-motors-glitching

If you plug the x axis motor into the other outputs (y or z) does the problem stay with the motor or with the x axis? This would cut the problem down to either the motor or the driver board.

Double check all screw block terminals for loose connections.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope? You could at least see if the clicks are from the PC parallel port, the board power supply, or the board itself.

Keep posting any info you have on make and model of all the electrical bits, or the machine itself if it is a commercial unit, observations and testing, and someone will be able to help.