PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber keyrings...

Jonathan
06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Just been testing my new 2.2kw spindle, and this is the first thing I've done with it:

Anyone want one :naughty:?

Backlash has caused the lettering to be a little off, but it's not really noticeable.

It seems that carbon fiber is quite easy to cut with those cheap diamond burrs...:smile:
I'll post a video tomorrow.

Lee Roberts
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Can i order one that says "MYCNCUK" please :whistling:

Looking good so far though, another member wanted to machine fiber but wasnt to sure how well it would work as its a hard material, i guess this answers the question.

Lee

Jonathan
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Can i order one that says "MYCNCUK" please :whistling:

Don't see why not, I'll make you one next time I go home - not got time now.

Looking good so far though, another member wanted to machine fiber but wasnt to sure how well it would work as its a hard material, i guess this answers the question.

I'll put some details here just in case he's listening!

In the past I've had problems machining it because it is very abrasive. At first I tried a 4mm HSS cutter I think it was in my milling machine at 2150rpm. That worked, but after one small part the cutter was polished and ruined.

Then I tried the diamond burr in the milling machine which worked very nicely leaving a smooth finish. However with the spindle speed limited to just 2150rpm, and this basically being a grinding operation I could only use about 60mm/min, if that. Not surprisingly it took forever - however the cutter lasted.

Now with over 10 times the spindle speed it cuts easily. I trimmed the carbon sheet at 450mm/min (24000rpm), and cut the keyring out at 180mm/min. No doubt it would do more on a more rigid machine. I didn't want to push it since that's my last cutter...
It still looks fine after cutting about 1m of carbon.

Does anyone know where I can buy several of this type of diamond burr, not an annoying set with all sorts of shapes? I looked a while ago but could only find the latter for a reasonable price.

Web Goblin
08-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Very smart Jonathan. What software did you use to create the text?

Regards

Ian

Jonathan
08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Very smart Jonathan. What software did you use to create the text?

I used Techsoft 2D design, which I got from school, to draw it all. It's got some fonts which are composed of single vectors which makes them good for engraving.