PDA

View Full Version : is this 2.5d where do i start? help please if you can

h4ppy-chris
27-03-2011, 01:14 PM
a friend as asked me to make this for his motor bike.
i can sort most of it out it's the radius i need help with.

the red line is the profile that i would like the cutter to follow.
i am using cambam any help how to get started? i will cut 1 side then flip it and cut the other.

M250cnc
27-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Chris

I don't think cambam can do 3d
cad.

You need to model it, I think cambam can do the 3d toolpath though.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

blackburn mark
27-03-2011, 11:45 PM
yo chris.... iv been in a similar position... it'll take weeks to to get a posh sofware package to do some exotic moves for the first time however after that you should have the same kind of job down to a day or two... maybe hours
still seems a bit of a waste if your not making 20 of the buggars

with a job like that id omit any non critical profiles and just take care of the luggs holes and recesses in mach wizards etc
unless your mate isnt in a rush, in which case you could use it as a training exersize and get stuck into some heavy cad/cam packages :)

ps: let us know how many you scrap :) iv seen your stash of delrin, you can afford it lol

FatFreddie
28-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Good advice on concentrating on the important features rather than trying to make an exact copy.

For copying shapes in CamBam, in the past, I have scanned (or photographed with a long lens) parts and then traced them in inkscape and exported as a DXF - CamBam will read this directly and you can then create the MOPs to make the cuts. If you have a ruler or known size object in the shot it helps getting the scale right (you can easily adjust the scale in CamBam).

h4ppy-chris
29-03-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks for the help guys, i am just on with making a modal in sketchup. it wont be an exact copy basically a tube with a lug and holes.