PDA

View Full Version : Problems Machining Makrolon Polycarbonate

fusionkid
29-03-2011, 04:36 AM
I thought i would see if anyone can offer any advice regarding the machining of sheet Makrolon polycarbonate.
I have been trying to find someone to cut some of this material, i do not own a router that's not my thing. Every company i've approached so far have declined the work saying its too difficult. I don't understand what the problems are, i'm surprised that no one will cut any for me. I know that makrolon is machinable in a router because i've seen it done, but i need more than a hobby machine can produce.I want full sheets cut into smaller pieces. Would there even be a market for "unmachinable" material ??
So if anyone wants to cut some for me please step forward!
Or if anyone can shed any light on machining this material I would greatly appreciate it. The only place i know that is cutting makrolon is in australia, they're buying the material straight from bayer in germany. Because of postage, exchange rates and customs duty etc it's just not worth it.
Maybe the material is affected magnetically, and can only be cut whilst near the "Southern" magnetic pole :tongue:
Seriously, at this rate, i'm gonna have to do it myself!
Many Thanks

Wobblybootie
29-03-2011, 07:23 AM
'Makrolon' springs to mind as the 'fibre glass' type stuff we used to fit to the outside of the 'B' skinned (soft skinned) vehicles during the bad old days in NI. It was, back then quite good armour. A lot of guys owe their lives to the stuff. It would arrive ready cut and moulded to shape but due to vehicle mods (winterisation etc) we would have to cut and drill to fit which was a real bugger of a job. Damn heavy stuff as well!!

M250cnc
29-03-2011, 11:53 AM
According to a google search it "Makrolon" is a brand name for polycarbonate sheet.

http://www.sdplastics.com/shef2.html

So i cant see there being any issues with machining it apart from any fumes ?

Phil

h4ppy-chris
29-03-2011, 12:30 PM
give these a ring here's there web site http://www.rossendaleplastics.co.uk/ iuse them they are very good.

fusionkid
30-03-2011, 08:34 AM
'Makrolon' springs to mind as the 'fibre glass' type stuff we used to fit
Makrolon is "pure" polycarbonate, it does not contain any fibres or reinforcing

According to a google search it "Makrolon" is a brand name for polycarbonate sheet.
Yes Makrolon is the trade name of Bayer AG for their quality brand of polycarbonate

I'm looking to have some of this sheet material cut i'm using thickness of 1 - 2mm.
This apparently presents problems in machining - the cnc router place i contacted said they could not machine this material that thin because the spiral of the special cutter lifts the material and damages it, they said the router bed does not have sufficient suction!
So i then contact a laser cutting place and they tell me that this material is not suitable for laser cutting as the edges bubble up when cut!
Except this is not the advice from bayer they say that this material up to 2mm thickness is suitable for laser cutting, above 2mm and you get colouring. They also say this material is suitable for machining with standard wood/metalworking tools. They give specs for saws/mills/drills etc in their advice here: http://www.bayersheeteurope.com/index.php/fuseaction/ti_filedownload/sprache/e/filedownload/MF0137.pdf
So companys are turning me away because they're not fully conversant with this material, yet if i direct them to the official advice, i just (so far) get blanked! I mean come on - could there be a market for unmachinable material? I doubt it!
At this rate i'm going to have to do it myself, which is the norm except i really don't want to invest in cutting equipment just for this purpose.
What to do? Can anyone share their experiences with this?
Many Thanks

tonyh
09-04-2011, 09:24 AM
You can use a reverse spiral cutter to cut polycarb this thickness. You still need a good vacuum on the bed though. The company I used to work for cut this stuff all the time. They got the cutters from Pacer, but I think Trend might do them as well.

Robin Hewitt
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
So i then contact a laser cutting place and they tell me that this material is not suitable for laser cutting as the edges bubble up when cut!

Have you tried an abrasive water jet place?

Sebmcleod
22-07-2011, 08:34 PM
At that thickness why not die cut it? It handles that well.