PDA

View Full Version : stepper motor buzzing sound?

wyndham
14-06-2011, 07:07 AM
i bought a used mini cnc 3040 from ebay to learn from,its working fine however one stepper motor seems to be making a buzzing sound when stationary. i have tried changing the motor tuning in mach3 but that makes no difference. it sounds like a loose electrica wire almost but its only the x axis motor?

Robin Hewitt
14-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Steppers usually squeak, but a squeak can become a buzz if it coincides with the resonant frequency of something connected to it. Try leaning on the screw and places where the machine parts bolt together, look for somewhere that changes the buzz. Alternatively, perhaps one stepper driver has gone off frequency, try swapping the X and Y drivers connections over, does the buzz follow the driver?

wyndham
14-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Steppers usually squeak, but a squeak can become a buzz if it coincides with the resonant frequency of something connected to it. Try leaning on the screw and places where the machine parts bolt together, look for somewhere that changes the buzz. Alternatively, perhaps one stepper driver has gone off frequency, try swapping the X and Y drivers connections over, does the buzz follow the driver?

thanks for the tip it seems to be more of a hissing than buzzing
i swaped the x and y leads and the hissing stopped so its the driver board i believe.
it seems to work though so i'll probably just leave it

FatFreddie
16-06-2011, 12:35 AM
thanks for the tip it seems to be more of a hissing than buzzing
i swaped the x and y leads and the hissing stopped so its the driver board i believe.
it seems to work though so i'll probably just leave it

Hissing is normal for some drives, you might find it changes according to where the motor stops - jogging mine a bit often quiets it down.