PDA

View Full Version : CNC software for idiots

2006Nobull
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I'm completely new to this cnc game and need something really simple to get me started.
The cnc machine I've got came with some old dos cam software which the chap I bought the machine of said could do with updating to a windows based program.
At the moment I have no means of generating dxf(I think thats right) either. Can any one recommend a very simple progam for generating dxf or a simple cad cam program. At the moment all I am looking to do is carve very simple designs in my furniture i.e names, heart shapes or tractors made from combining squares circles etc, it will all be 2d. I do emphasis the need for it to be simple as I've no experience in cad or cnc.
Also if I upgrade my computer can I use a usb with a parallel adapter or do the transmit data in a different format.

Many thanks,
Paul

Jonathan
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Cambam would do what your describing - just download the free edition. You shouldn't need the paying one:

http://www.cambam.info/

Also if I upgrade my computer can I use a usb with a parallel adapter or do the transmit data in a different format?

Definately not. USB wont do the accurate timings that's required for the router - it's designed to just transfer lots of data without worrying about the time.

Kammo1
22-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Vectric software cannot be beat "PERIOD!" I will fly the flag for these guys as there products are nothing short of "BRILLIANT". Like yourself I was a total newbee and downloading free "this and that" software and found alot of it very confusing. So a £100 lighter I bought Cut 2D and can honestly say it is amazing and almost idiot proof. Vectric software is literally the only product you will ever need,V-Carve Pro is next on my list without a doubt.

John S
22-10-2011, 11:23 PM
For a CAD program look no further than Draftsight [ do a Google ]
Completely free, downloadable free manual and laod sof video's on Youtube to help.

russell
23-10-2011, 10:48 AM
For a CAD program look no further than Draftsight [ do a Google ]

Seconded. It is the only free CAD program I've found that works well with industry standard Autocad (.dwg) files and also has a very Autocad like interface.

Try it.

Russell.

richie.demmy
01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
vECTRIC IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

C_Bubba
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I have to go along with John on Draftsight, and for my cam, I use SheetCam (www.sheetcam.com). Reasonably priced, excellent support, and does the job for 2 1/2D work that I do.

Swarfing
01-03-2012, 06:02 PM
CAMBAM gives you most bang for the bucks.

JAZZCNC
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Your all plonkers the guy asked this question over 6 months ago.!!!!!!!:joker:

Swarfing
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Bahhhh! bahhhhhhhhhhh! bahh1 bahh!

John S
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
He's perhaps a slow reader ?

Swarfing
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Problem is you always look at the last thing said in the thread and take notice of dates before......never mind at least he got some answers eventually :heehee: