PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: hello all

luke11cnc
24-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi every one
I'm new and green to cnc but not clue less

I am going to start building a cnc with my son over the summer holidays

I was a member at CNC Zone but have no intention of going back.

I joined two weeks ago and have written three posts and with over 70 view on each post and not one reply I have decided not to go back.

any way I am going to make a light to medium range CNC router machine just waiting for pay day to buy the Aluminium extrusion I will be building it from profile 45 40/80 and 40/120 I have ordered part for the x axis witch will be 20 stainless steel round bar and ball screw of 12 mm threaded bar my table area is 1000 mm X 600 mm I would like to cut wood, acrylic and aluminium. I have a soft start router 1/4

I intend to use nema 263 oz stepper motors

my pc programs are

Draft sight and mach3

but have not got a clue and running this programs yet ??

well that's all the progress I've made this week any and all advice welcome

we live in rugby and would love to have someone who could give advice on the electrical and setting up when we are ready

James and Luke :toot::toot:

pavlo
24-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum

There was some aluminium extrusion being sold on here recently that would probably be perfect for your build.

I'll see if I can find the link.

edit. here it is http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/3583-Lots-of-Bosch-Rexroth-Aluminium-extrusion-50mm-x-50mm

Web Goblin
24-07-2011, 09:06 PM
All you need now is unlimited time in the shop to get it built and up and running:smile:.

Ian

Jonathan
24-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I intend to use nema 263 oz stepper motors

Why did you choose that torque? I think these would be better suited to the size of machine you're building, along with at least 60 volt stepper drivers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-3Nm-Stepper-motor-CNC-Milling-machine-router-/220733820459?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Automation_Contr ol_ET&hash=item3364c2ce2b#ht_1629wt_905

All you need now is unlimited time in the shop to get it built and up and running:smile:

That's one of the advantages of being at school/university - long summer holidays!

Web Goblin
24-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Jonathan,
the dis-advantage of the long summer holidays is having to pay for 6 weeks out of school care for the kids!! I have hardly managed to get near the shop for ages now.

Ian

Jonathan
24-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Jonathan,
the dis-advantage of the long summer holidays is having to pay for 6 weeks out of school care for the kids!!

That didn't occur to me as with my Mum and Dad both being teachers it has never been an issue :smile:

antsals
24-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Gary at Zapp automation has been a great help regards the stepper motors, stepper drives and controller cards. It's well worth having a look through there website.

I've just been building a new controller.....my third and the stuff from Zapp has been the best up to now.

Ant

Jonathan
24-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Gary at Zapp automation has been a great help regards the stepper motors, stepper drives and controller cards. It's well worth having a look through there website.
I've just been building a new controller.....my third and the stuff from Zapp has been the best up to now.

True .. but they're no longer the cheapest by quite a long way. eBay is my new friend for those parts...and most other things to be fair!

If you want to work it out yourself then this spreadsheet is a good starting point:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/1524-What-size-stepper-motor-do-I-need.

luke11cnc
25-07-2011, 08:29 AM
O'my god wow so much advice

Chip seen your build log and I must admit really nice
how long did it take to build and was money a factor??

I've also had a read through the above link thank you Jonathan on stepper motor and have now changes my mind, I will go with the bigger motors as I don't want to struggle with weight and speed and as I have no Idea how much the gantry will weigh I should go on the side of caution

Pavlo thank you for digging out that link however I'm going to go with new as kjn is only 15 miles up the road from me and not 60 miles plus they will cut it square (digital guided saw) plus my son will have great delight in seeing the material being cut.

Chip I will set up a build log and hopefully with photo's and video on you tube and with drawings with dimensions on draft sight.I have never posted a video so this will be a first for me:heehee:

again humbleness and gratefulness for the advice and the warm welcome James & Luke:wave::wave: