PDA

View Full Version : wiring for drag chains

johngoodrich
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
hi all. i'm looking for a good type of screened wire to use in my drag chains when they arrive. i've looked at the cy series of screened cable but some websites say it isn't reccommended for drag chains whilst others say its ok. opinions please

Jonathan
01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Chip and I have used it... his is in a drag chain. No problem so far as I know. It would be hard to tell if the shielding is breaking though which I suspect is what could cause it to fail.

Web Goblin
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
CY is ok for drag chains but does suffer from breakage over time. I have replaced loads of the stuff over the years. Give it a good stretch before you install it and make sure it is firmly secured at both ends of the drag chain so that it doesnt pull itself into the drag chain and start to coil up with the repeated movement. Also be careful
about how you unwind the cable before installation. Roll it from the drum so that it doesnt twist.

Ian

Robin Hewitt
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
hi all. i'm looking for a good type of screened wire to use in my drag chains

What do you want to screen? :eek:

Screened cable is capacitive and you have to be wary of ground loops.

Twisted pair is often the better option for low voltage signal connects.

Jonathan
03-08-2011, 11:12 AM
What do you want to screen? :eek:

Probably stepper motors ... it generally is here.

Twisted pair is often the better option for low voltage signal connects.

I thought that twisted pair only helps with interference if used with differential signalling where complimentary signals are send down the two wires and the difference detected?

Will it stay properly twisted in the drag chain?

Robin Hewitt
03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Why would anyone want to screen a stepper motor cable?

This reeks of urban legend, a bit like choosing your motor purely on holding torque :heehee:

I'd say lots of square mm for minimum resistance and lots of strands for flex.

I use twisted pair for signal cables and you don't need fancy drivers to reap the low crosstalk benefits. Even humble RS232 at 9600 is good for 100 yards in good old Telecom twisted pair, doubt you'd get 25 with screened.

Jonathan
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Why would anyone want to screen a stepper motor cable?

So you can listen to the radio whilst the machine's running of course!

If I don't ground the shielding on my motor cables the radio (not digital) hisses a lot etc ... with the shielding grounded it's fine. I've never been able to detect the shielding making a difference to the motors.

Robin Hewitt
03-08-2011, 02:38 PM
So you can listen to the radio whilst the machine's running of course!

Obvious now you mention it :whistling:

Perhaps you just need a bigger workshop, the inverse square law could become your friend :rofl:

Karl
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Recommended sources for plastic drag chain?

johngoodrich
09-02-2012, 06:23 PM
ebay ebay ebay

m.marino
09-02-2012, 08:44 PM
I would say ebay but IGUS UK has prices that compare directly with most ebay sellers these days. They can require about a week lead time as for the most part them seem to be a front office for Germany. It all depends on size and whether you want the opening variety or not. Good luck.

Michael