PDA

View Full Version : general discussion/social meeting

luke11cnc
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I know every forum has it

But I've been looking on this forum

and we don't !!

how about a meeting of great minds and................ people like me that haven't got a clue

light minded meeting in a pub of people from this forum exchanging great ideas and solid information

James

Jonathan
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll come...but where?

John S
01-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll come if someone is buying.................

remrendes
15-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Hi!

Is there any friendly, social meeting for hobbyist or exhibition in Yorkshire?

magicniner
15-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Doncaster Racecourse next weekend ;-)

remrendes
16-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Nooo! I live 5 mins from the Racecourse and I won't be here in a weekend!
Thanks!

magicniner
16-05-2016, 08:29 AM
It's the National Model Engineering Exhibition at Doncaster Racecourse, if you can withstand the onslaught of train related content there's a lot else of interest, and there are usually loads of stalls selling cutters, inserts, tooling etc. at decent prices,

- Nick

remrendes
16-05-2016, 09:39 AM
It's the National Model Engineering Exhibition at Doncaster Racecourse, if you can withstand the onslaught of train related content there's a lot else of interest, and there are usually loads of stalls selling cutters, inserts, tooling etc. at decent prices,

- Nick

I'll try to be there on Saturday. Thanks again! Do you know any other?

cropwell
17-05-2016, 09:29 PM
I intend to go there on Saturday, but I have to get a mobility scooter arranged. So, if you see a fat, bearded guy, running people over, it'll most likely be me.
Cheers, Rob

remrendes
17-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Hi! Good to know, there is one more fanatic in a local area. :)

cropwell
18-05-2016, 05:18 AM
Hi! Good to know, there is one more fanatic in a local area. :)

Well, I wouldn't say it was local to me, but it is the right side of Harrogate!

remrendes
18-05-2016, 06:04 AM
Ohh, really not local, but not too far.

magicniner
18-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I've had Sunday on the calendar for several months, it's a tool acquisition sortie,

- Nick

remrendes
12-06-2016, 09:00 PM
It wasn't really what I wanted, but was fun with a lot of locomotive. I think I have seen only two CNC in the exhibition.
So where will be a next one? :) Hopefully with a little bit more machines.

Neale
12-06-2016, 10:40 PM

Probably Bristol in mid-August, then Brooklands near Woking (this is the exhibition that used to be held at Sandown in December but was not held last year) in September. Then comes the Midlands show near Leamington Spa in October. I shall be on the SMEE stand for all of those and happy to say hello.

Oh dear - just realised that I have publicly admitted to belonging to a model engineering society. Now everyone knows that I buy the contents of workshops from elderly widows for a pittance and flog them on eBay for personal profit...

komatias
12-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Probably Bristol in mid-August, ...

Will have a stand there :barbershop_quartet_. Anyone going is more than welcome to say hello. They are doing lectures this year that would be interesting to see too.

remrendes
13-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks!
And I know there will be a "UK Robotics Week" at the end of the month in a different locations. I'm going to visit the University in Leeds or Sheffield.
In my origial country, sometimes there are a much smaller social meetings/greetings with the other CNC machine builders or fanatics. We should do one in a middle UK :whistle:
You can see some pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8gTElAzeWk1emNtM3lpelB1dXc&usp=sharing

magicniner
13-06-2016, 09:22 AM
It wasn't really what I wanted, but was fun with a lot of locomotive. I think I have seen only two CNC in the exhibition.

I usually reach the locomotive overload event horizon fairly early but did you see the Live Steam OO Gauge, who wouldn't want one of those?
And the turbine demo was fantastic!
The rest of my time was mostly a rummage for some specific plus any interesting tooling.
There was a stand with some 3D printers knocking out decent prints (for hobby kit), their leaflet said "affordable" but their website says "How Much!" Harrogate prices at a Doncaster show? ;-)

- Nick

remrendes
13-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Yes, the turbine was awsome and a CNC lathe. But it was not a machine building, just a modifying. :)
I hoped I could see more home made CNC's.

magicniner
13-06-2016, 01:27 PM
I hoped I could see more home made CNC's.

That's predominantly not the "Model Engineer Way" where "Model Engineer" usually equates to "Man With Train Related Tunnel Vision", off the shelf conversions and ex-educational CNC equipment are the norm.
I dumped my local "Model Engineering Society" because it was in fact only a "Model Train Society", they all went on holiday to ride boring modern foreign trains and brought slideshows back with which to thrill us at meetings!
Woo Hoo! Get You Some of That!
NOT! ;-)

remrendes
13-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Yes it is true, not that way. Just there is no other. A bigger CNC or Automation exhibitions deals with a manufacturers, not with us, hobbyists. I hope you can understand me :)