PDA

View Full Version : I want one!

m_c
03-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Shame I can't afford one!

Got this link from the HSM board - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzkthutKnA&feature=related

6-8 weeks from first drawing to working machine is impressive, but given that's what he done for a living, it probably wasn't that hard to achieve.

Now where to get big box sections, along with some spare time and money....

Robin Hewitt
03-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Amazing how DIY CNC comes alive when you stop pussy-footing about with aluminium section and round rails. Those big fat profile bearings, girt lumps of iron and state of the art software seem to help a lot.

A true salesman, did you get the impression he was cutting beyond the machine capability to try and sell machines? That screaming noise was the motor fan? Perhaps we were not supposed to notice the great grooves left by the "hogging" tool where it dug in beyond his finishing allowance.

I think this just goes to prove that anything is achievable if you throw enough money at it, but you have to wonder if he would have done better just to buy a big fat CNC mill :whistling:

m_c
04-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Considering the column is a weldment, I'm pretty impressed by how big a cut it was taking.

I'd be worried taking that big a cut on the big lump of iron I've got in the shed!

pavlo
04-08-2011, 12:56 AM
It's a brave man that stands next to that machine when the fly cutter is running. The welding didn't look too clever.

Jonathan
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Wow...I want one too! Interestingly the coolant is colourless - it looks like just water. He did mention that the way covers are stainless steel so perhaps enough of the machine is stainless for water not to matter.

It's a brave man that stands next to that machine when the fly cutter is running. The welding didn't look too clever.

Somehow I get the impression he knows what he's doing...

m_c
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
The coolant has a slight green/blue tint to it when the camera is pointed down into the enclosure from the top. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I have seen stuff like it before, and I'd guess it's probably some kind of water based lubricant, just not the usual water soluble stuff that's more common place.

As for the fly cutter, chances are you'd notice it bending before it done any major damage.

John S
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Somehow I get the impression he knows what he's doing...

Probably because the D in David is the same D that is in FaDal.

Jonathan
04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Probably because the D in David is the same D that is in FaDal.

Ahh, yes: 'My name is David deCaussin. I am the former owner of Fadal Engineering Co'