PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hallo from Kent

Peter.
07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Hi folks.

I'm Pete, and as it says above I'm from down here in North Kent. I'm just doing some groundwork before embarking on my first CNC machine build. I have a modest 1980's manual lathe and a small but sturdy 1952 milling machine and I usually use these to make odd parts for motorbikes - usually for beers (even though I hardly drink at all).

I want to build myself a sturdy vertical milling machine with probably a 3Kw spindle motor and greater capacity than my Herbert mill (12"x, 6"y) - something akin to this (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/3644-I-want-one!) - in fact I already have the column, but before I get into spending too much money I think I will build a smaller machine, just to 'learn the ropes' so to speak.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of gantry machines, so I think I will either build myself a small upright mill or maybe a lightweight lathe.

Wish me luck - and prepare for some questions!

Pete.

Ricardoco
07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi folks.

I'm Pete, and as it says above I'm from down here in North Kent. I'm just doing some groundwork before embarking on my first CNC machine build. I have a modest 1980's manual lathe and a small but sturdy 1952 milling machine and I usually use these to make odd parts for motorbikes - usually for beers (even though I hardly drink at all).

I want to build myself a sturdy vertical milling machine with probably a 3Kw spindle motor and greater capacity than my Herbert mill (12"x, 6"y) - something akin to this (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/3644-I-want-one!) - in fact I already have the column, but before I get into spending too much money I think I will build a smaller machine, just to 'learn the ropes' so to speak.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of gantry machines, so I think I will either build myself a small upright mill or maybe a lightweight lathe.

Wish me luck - and prepare for some questions!

Pete.

Welcome to you Peter., If you have come to learn how to build your mill, then i think you have come to the right place, there are years of knowlege on this site, in the time ive been a member they have shown me so much i feel humbled.

So Good luck on your Journey and i hope you enjoy the ride.

Rick (Also from Kent)

Peter.
07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks Rick!

I like your boxford conversion. Haven't had time to real through the whole thread but I will do soon!

Ricardoco
07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks Rick!

I like your boxford conversion. Haven't had time to real through the whole thread but I will do soon!

Thank you, thats what its there for...