PDA

View Full Version : X2 change balls crews or not?

Oldie45
15-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi, can anyone help, I have just bought a sx2 mill and I want too convert it but I'm unsure as to wether I can keep the original screws or I need to change them and if so which ball screws. Any help really appreciated thank you

i2i
16-08-2011, 02:45 PM
if you shop around i'm pretty sure you can get a kit of parts to convert these mills, and definately ballscrews.

Oldie45
17-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Thank you but I'm hoping to do this without a kit. From what I have seen it's possible to leave the original screws and attach them using lovejoy connectors, but this still leaves the problem of the Z axis and the length of the lead screw for that and the size of the stepper motors.

i2i
17-08-2011, 01:18 PM
things to consider on ballscrews over leadscrews are, better power transfer on a ballscrew, greater accuracy, zero backlash, trouble free maintenance.

Jonathan
17-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Also remember that ballscrews can backdrive (depending on the lead angle) which can make using the machine manually more difficult. You may have to lock the slides. I think it's worth considering as for simple parts it's sometimes easier just to do it manually...

i2i
17-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Also remember that ballscrews can backdrive (depending on the lead angle) which can make using the machine manually more difficult. You may have to lock the slides. I think it's worth considering as for simple parts it's sometimes easier just to do it manually...
Simple answer, use a pendant or the keyboard to use it manually. If you're looking for a CNC machine you have to use ballscrews, as i'm sure Jonathan would do if it were his.

Jonathan
17-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes using the keyboard, or just typing the commands, is good as you've effectively got autofeed on XYZ.

as i'm sure Jonathan would do if it were his.

True, except I've not put ballscrews on my mill yet mainly due to cost. I may never do it as the router has ballscrews and will cut most things...

Oldie45
17-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Thank you both for your input, a lot to think about. It's been over 30yrs since I used a mill or lathe manually and the learning curve seem a lot steeper now. Could I ask, Jonathan, how much accuracy do you think you have lost, if any, by using the lead screws? And did you lose any of the table range?