PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Need to get lead screw turned down - Rotherham area

rckeith
20-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Hi
I've finally go back to building the hot wire cutter but I'm struggling to get the lead screws which are M10x1.5 thread rod connected to my stepper motors. I basically need to get one end turned down to 1/4" to match the motors. Does anyone know of anybody in the Rotherham area with a lathe that can do this. I don't mind paying for it as long as its reasonable

luke11cnc
20-08-2011, 07:31 PM
you could always look in the yellow pages

rckeith

i2i
20-08-2011, 07:44 PM
you can buy couplers with different sized ends, if the ballscrew has a turned diameter already.

Jonathan
21-08-2011, 12:18 AM
you can buy couplers with different sized ends, if the ballscrew has a turned diameter already.

Sounds like it's threaded rod not ballscrew. Either way I could do it, but I'm quite far away...could post it I suppose. Probably cheaper for me to buy the threaded rod (about £5/m for M10 stainless), machine it and post.

Normally I'd advise against threaded rod as the efficiency and accuracy is not great, unless you use the angled bearing as a nut method that I started off with. However I doubt it matters much for a foam cutter.

i2i
21-08-2011, 12:24 AM
it does sound that way..:smile:

you could thread the coupler to suit the leadscrew.

Jonathan
21-08-2011, 12:26 AM
you could thread the coupler to suit the leadscrew.

True, but the thread needs to be nicely on centre...

Edit: Well, that depends on the coupling you use.

i2i
21-08-2011, 12:37 AM
it will, all this depends on what he has available. It's easy for us with plenty of gear to suggest options.

Might be an idea to take a look down a nearby industrial estate for a machine shop to sort this.