PDA

View Full Version : Advice on some basic tools

GTJim
21-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I would appreciate some advice.
I am on the look out for the following items, a pillar drill and a welder for home and hobby use. I don’t really want to spend too much but the welder needs to be capable of welding 4 or 5mm steel.
It has been many years since I’ve welded, so what do you use or would recommend?

Jim

Jonathan
21-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I got an arc welder from Aldi which was very cheap. Think it was £30, maybe £35 and claims to be 160A.
I've only used it to weld my router frame and practice, but it seemed fine to me. The thermal cutout is a bit annoying, but didn't activate too often when welding 3-4mm.
If you're going to use it a lot I wouldn't reccomend it, but for one off jobs it's good considering the price. I reckon if I added a bigger fan it would be fine...

This is it, a lot more money here though:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Arc-Welder-160A-55-160A-466888-/220774023585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33672841a1#ht_500wt_1054
There seems to be a lot on eBay...second hand?

I think Chip will be able to give you better advice on welding...

Jonathan
21-09-2011, 11:24 AM
You can also make your own welder very very cheaply with microwave oven transformers. Remove the 2KV and heater secondary windings, and replace it with the right number of turns of some very thick wire.
I started making one but soon after spotted the one at Aldi.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=0&oq=microwave+transformer+wel&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=microwave+transformer+welder

GTJim
21-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Jonathan, I wouldn't trust myself to even attempt to make a welder.
I think I'll look around for one like your link it should do what I need as its only for the frame of my router (if I can get a quote back for the steel).

Rogue
21-09-2011, 01:40 PM
I started making one but soon after spotted the one at Aldi.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=0&oq=microwave+transformer+wel&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=microwave+transformer+welder

Hmm. A voltmeter attached to the workpiece and to the stick will measure (approximately, considering voltage drop etc over the length of the stick) the arc voltage when in use. Could you electronically sense when the arc kicks in and the welding starts, in a way that would allow a computer to effectively control stick distance from the workpiece?

luke11cnc
21-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Jim

as you only live in Coventry you could borrow my welder if you want You would have to buy a mask gloves and gas for it but you are welcome.

and after I've finished my cnc drilling you could borrow the pillar drill

James

we live in rugby :)

GTJim
22-09-2011, 07:27 AM
James,

Thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind, but I need to start replacing all my tools as someone helped themselves to them all.

It good to know someone lives that close if I need advice. By the way I work in Rugby.

Jim

Jonathan
22-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss.

By the way I work in Rugby on ***** ***.

Now more people will steal your tools ... you've now probably given enough information to acquire your address.

GTJim
22-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Jonath,
Thats where I work and not where my tools are Lol.

Jonathan
22-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Jonath,
Thats where I work and not where my tools are Lol.

I gathered...
(Interesting way of abbreviating Jonathan, not seen that one!)

Recently we had some small items stolen - maybe £100 worth of bits that were listed at the time on eBay. My mum phoned the police and amazingly, at about 9pm, they immediately sent a policeman round to record the details and have a chat it seems. From what I gathered from talking to him your name, where you work and city you live in is sufficient for someone to work out where you live.
I know the chances of it happening are minuscule, but you never know if something like that is what caused the recent burglary? Best to be safe I reckon and delete the location from the post...

You're not so far away from me (Leicestershire) I think, so you're welcome to pop round ...

GTJim
22-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Jonathan,
Sorry about the abbreviation of your name, my mind was faster than my fingers.