PDA

View Full Version : NEW Aluminium Ware house Now do Ali Plate + New Web page

JAZZCNC
29-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi
Just spotted Aluminium Warehouse have a new web site and they now do Ali plate in large thinkness and grades. . . Even do fixture plate.!!:toot:

Jonathan
29-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Yea I noticed this a few days ago :)
If I wanted a 10mm sheet of 6082 to fit my router bed that'd be £274+VAT ... ouch.
Still it's clearly good if you just want a small area.

It looks like their price for 6082 plate is about 23% more than the same grade flat bar. Still I think sometimes it will be worth paying that bit extra to get the size you need instead of buying 2m lengths.

i2i
29-09-2011, 05:40 PM
the plate has been there for a while, but the website is new and blue:smile:

JAZZCNC
29-09-2011, 05:44 PM
the plate has been there for a while, but the website is new and blue:smile:

I'd not seen it before on the old site, I don't mean sheet I mean plate.?

JAZZCNC
29-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Yea I noticed this a few days ago :)
If I wanted a 10mm sheet of 6082 to fit my router bed that'd be £274+VAT ... ouch.

I payed about that for my 1400x1200 bed but made from 40x16 strips spaced 10mm apart to creat Tslots. EDIT: It was worth every penny thou.! and thinking about it was cheaper than that £200 inc vat mark I think.?

It looks like their price for 6082 plate is about 23% more than the same grade flat bar. Still I think sometimes it will be worth paying that bit extra to get the size you need instead of buying 2m lengths.

Must be the down to way the buy it, obviously must buy large volumes of flat plate so can give better prices.? . . . . .We need to buy more plate Lads so the prices come down:exclaim:. . . . Ye like that will happen:joker:

i2i
29-09-2011, 06:01 PM
i priced up some 20 or 25mm plate 800mm x 600mm, over a month ago on there. Not the cheapest around for that plate, which is odd as they usually are the cheapest.

Jonathan
29-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Generally so far I've just used the 'it will be useful at some point' philosophy and bought the 2m lengths. On one occasion I ended up using up all the 2m length before making what I actually bought it for!

I payed about that for my 1400x1200 bed but made from 40x16 strips spaced 10mm apart to creat Tslots.

Hmm, for me to do the same with the nearest size, 40x15 would be 18 2m lengths is about £250+VAT ... so quite a bit better value considering that's thicker and slots are far more useful. I was thinking of doing something like that a while ago.

I wonder if they'll start selling plate offcuts...

m_c
29-09-2011, 11:58 PM
They've sorted their delivery charges aswell, so that central Scotland doesn't have to pay more.
Having to pay an extra £10 put me of buying a lot of stuff from them before.

Now if only they were to start doing 7075...

i2i
18-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's worth it. They're twice as powerful and can keep cool longer than the others. Also, if you get the right specs you can powerhouse the mac better than the old ones................oops.

Jon S
25-01-2012, 06:18 PM
i priced up some 20 or 25mm plate 800mm x 600mm, over a month ago on there. Not the cheapest around for that plate, which is odd as they usually are the cheapest.

Would you be so kind as to share your cheaper than AW plate source?

i2i
25-01-2012, 06:27 PM
yes no probs, Fromstock in Cardiff. Unfortunately they closed last month but i've been told they have just been re-opened by the original owner, so with a bit of luck all will be the same.
It was called CG Rees before Fromstock took it over and i'll get up there this week to make sure they are back open.

Jon S
25-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Their website is a work in progress :-( Will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

i2i
26-01-2012, 05:03 PM
They are open.

http://www.metalstock.co.uk/supply/supplyfront.htm

contact number 02920615911

luke11cnc
26-01-2012, 07:40 PM
All very well but they would be better displaying prices as well

I for one think if a company doesn't display prices then they are more often than not trying to hide the fact that they are expensive

James

JAZZCNC
26-01-2012, 08:03 PM
All very well but they would be better displaying prices as well

I for one think if a company doesn't display prices then they are more often than not trying to hide the fact that they are expensive

James

Yep I agree pritty pointless having a web site like that in this day and age of internet sales, given the present climate you'd think they'd give it an high prioirty.!!

i2i
26-01-2012, 08:10 PM
ring that number and ask, they've always beaten aw for me.

Jon S
26-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Chip, you know you can sell whats left when you boil piss dry :whistling:

There is so much mark up on small orders of metal that any metal stock holder should be able to undercut web pricing if they can be bothered. Out of curiosity I changed an online quote from 1 sheet of 6mm steel to 100 and the price halved :-( The sheet was already 10 times more than I want immediately.

Compared to a simple web site, setting up online ordering is a pretty daunting task with unknown return on the investment, linking that to stock levels and maintaining the site and dealing with customer problems costs money or time(if you have the skills)... for a business that has a customer base and established processes of being faxed cutting lists for quoting against it is easy to see why there are still lots that have not found the need to have a 24/7 web sales solution.

metal4u is a good example of the other end of the spectrum with a focus on selling small amounts only online at an outrageous price.. a phone call is cheap if you know what you want, that said I too strongly prefer being able to price up on a web page.

Software companies are the ones that should not be able to justify having expensive websites and no product pricing:nope: and if you do phone for a quote you can be sure it will be more expensive in the UK than US :sad:

Jonathan
26-01-2012, 11:13 PM
It's so they can decide the price when you call!

They could put the prices on and not bother with online ordering, that would be fine by me.
I think the pink background and excessive use of flash is enough to put me off buying from them.

Jonathan
26-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Where did you use in the end for the steel box section?

Just noticed this place has copper ... I could do with some 6mm ish flat copper bar.

i2i
27-01-2012, 12:03 AM
guys, why so negative..........

Nobody's forcing you to buy from them.

I've bought quite a lot of ally over the years from a variety of sources and i would imagine so have most of you. We all have our favourite places to deal with whether they're the cheapest or not, so stick with them.