PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Mounting Plate

ferus
21-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I stumbled upon your forum searching for options to get some steel cut and think someone here may be able to help me. I'm after buying a mounting plate like this one;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656408-REG/Glidecam_GLCWP_Camera_Weight_Plate.html
Searching "Glidecam Camera Weight Plate" in Google will show the mounting plate I'm after. I can't find anywhere in the UK that does plates similar to this for less than £50, B&Q do perforated plates for a couple of pound but they are a little too small. £50 seems a little steep. Not sure if anyone here can help me find or cut a plate?

Sorry if i've posted in the wrong forum
Thanks for your time
Ferus

Jonathan
21-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Is it critical that is it cut from steel? If it was aluminium I could do it easily, but steel is more difficult.

ferus
21-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Aluminium would be fine i could add some weight later to make it more stable (intended for a camera mount). Thanks a lot really appreciate it. What would be the cost?

m_c
21-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Main reason for steel is extra weight to improve stability.

It could be made from aluminium, then bolt on a lump of steel to increase the weight.

John S
21-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Did a search but can't find just the plates.
Do you have a drawing - sizes etc ?

ferus
21-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry my reply didn't post. It may help if i show you what i intend to construct. This slider http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NsWuwbEfA&feature=related . I may need to use the skater without the tracks and some people have said extra weight is needed for stability when shooting. I appreciate your response how much would it cost to construct.

blackburn mark
22-10-2011, 11:29 AM
if you can get hold of a longer 1/4 or 3/8 (or what ever your tripod head mount thread is) it wont matter if you use 8mm (ish) aluminum plate to keep the weight up

life would be a bit simpler if you had drawings or at least a photo of the plate from above
even a rough drawing not to scale but with dimentions would probably get you a quote

good luck :smile:

EDIT: iv just had another look at the plate you linked.... its 17.8 x 10.8 cm i cant see any need for you to fixate on any perticular size or hole pattern though.... you just need to work on what size holes and slots you want and decide where you want them, im assuming you will want a similar pattern so if you are tracking with a long lense you can keep the centre of weight between the wheels

John S
22-10-2011, 11:59 AM
How can anyone help you if you don't supply details?

m_c
22-10-2011, 08:36 PM
So you basically need a plate, with one hole either end to mount the skate trucks, and hole(s) in the middle to secure the camera mount to.

Extra weight will help with stability and making smoother shots, but it can easily be added later. You can experiment with random heavy items sat on the dolly before deciding if you need to have some weight(s) permanently bolted on.

ferus
26-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks a lot guys sorry for my absence . m_c is correct with what is needed. However I may have someone locally available to do the work and will know early next week if he can do it. If that does however fall through I will post diagrams with measurements of what is required, I guess I should of posted in more detail in the first place. Either way I will let you know.
Once again Thanks