PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Looking at getting some small parts machined using Brass.

ryanlownie
21-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I have designed some small parts that need machining out of brass.

I'll cut straight to it, I'm no engineer and nor am I qualified in anyway to design such parts but I do have the basic understanding. The parts have been designed and modelled using Autodesk Inventor and saved as .ipt files, from there I have no clue where to go apart from supply that file to a potential manufacturer to process and move forwards.

If you feel that you could help me with this process and manufacture the parts, I would love to hear from you. Part files can be emailed to anyone interested.

I will need help with validating the parts and their possibility of getting made in the first place plus the odd minor question on the parts I am designing.

I will need 1 of each part made to test fitment and from there it'll be quantities starting at 10-15pcs and potentially more if it takes off.

I've never done anything like this before so please fire away with any questions you my have and excuse my naivety to it all :)

Photos:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/batteryblock.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/chassisinsert.jpg/

Dimensions:

The parts are around 1.5" wide from memory.

PatK
22-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi, I should post up a picture or sketch of some kind to give an indication of what you're after, it may look like 'the queen Mary' or a pin head? personally I can't be of help actually making the parts but you need to give an idea of what machinery may be needed.

Regards,

Pat

m_c
22-10-2011, 08:27 PM
More details are needed.
Aprox. size, and a couple screen shots would be nice, so people can get an idea of what you're trying to get machined, and if they have the capabilities to do it.

ryanlownie
24-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Of course, totally forgot about that oops!

See here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/batteryblock.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/chassisinsert.jpg/

Max width is around 1.5" on these parts.

i2i
24-10-2011, 06:37 PM
they look easy enough

John S
24-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Can you afford the brass?
no joking price some bar up but make certain you are sitting down first.

cooliced
24-10-2011, 09:13 PM
^^ second this tbh, brass is ridiculous

i2i
24-10-2011, 09:26 PM
about a dozen times the price of ally.....:cry:

ryanlownie
24-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah I did have an idea that it is much more expensive than more common materials but the purpose of the parts is for adding weight. The specific use is in a radio controlled model, it's common practice to add weights and brass is the material most commonly used, stainless steel is starting to pop up and I'm assuming that's due to the price of brass....

I've got no idea of the manufacturing process out of the design software so wouldn't even know where to start as far as getting/pricing material goes....

m_c
25-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Couple suggestions regarding the design.

Does the battery block need all the rounded corners, and does the chamfer have to be flat?
The reason being the number of tools/positioning that would be needed.
The vertical rounded corners can be done easily with an endmill, at the same time as the holes are drilled for the threads.
However the rounded corners on the top, will either need a rounded edge cutter (probably not the proper name, but not a common cutter regardless).
The chamfer will either need a chamfer cutter (more common than the above cutter, but still not common placE), or for the part to be repositioned at an angle.
For the chamfer and top rounded corners, if you don't require them smooth, then they could be profile cut with a ball nose cutter which would result in a stepped finish. If needed the steps could be sanded/polished out after, but doing it that way would loose some accuracy.

The chassis insert looks easy enough, other than would need flipped to get both sides machined.

Jonathan
25-10-2011, 02:09 AM
I doubt the accuracy is that important. I think these are just weights you put in an RC car to compensate for the low mass of LiPo batteries. Brass is not much more dense than steel, so you could use steel...perhaps stainless. That does loose the eye candy which is the main selling feature on most model car parts.
I've not used them - I prefer to just fill every available space with batteries for more power :naughty:

ryanlownie
25-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I could remove the rounded edges off the parts no problem, they are purely aesthetic. What I've done with those parts is simply take the original plastic part and replicate it, the design could be simplified no problem.

The reason for brass is as Jonathan highlights, the eye candy factor... Steel weights are starting to pop up but they simply lack any style or bling factor.

I will revise the designs tonight for simplicity, if anyone would like the files please let me know. Maybe someone with a bit of brass knocking about could machine one for me to try? Paid of course.

Jonathan
25-10-2011, 11:36 AM
The other option to save money on materials is to sand cast them. Then machine or just buff them ... You can cast with scrap brass, like plumbing fittings.

JAZZCNC
26-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Nothing hard or compicated to making these.
Nobody really has brass just knocking around given the price.!!. . but as it happens I do have some brass knocking about and if the right dimensions I'll have crack at doing them for you.
Thou Warn you now brass aint cheap so don't expect the parts to be cheap by the time you have added machine time.?

Can't give any price untill full dimensions are known and machine times worked out.!

luke11cnc
26-10-2011, 07:20 PM
you are brave Jazz

I get the feeling this is just going to be a one or two off

good lucky

James and Luke

JAZZCNC
26-10-2011, 10:07 PM
you are brave Jazz

I get the feeling this is just going to be a one or two off

good lucky

James and Luke

Has DEL-BOY says James. . . "He who dares wins". .:dance:

blackburn mark
26-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Has DEL-BOY says James. . . "He who dares wins". .:dance:

this time next year we'll be millionairs :smile:

ryanlownie
26-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Jazz, I can send you the .ipt's to take a look at. PM me a contact email and I'll send them straight away. As mentioned in first post I simply need a prototype of each part to check fitment and from there it'll be onto quantities of 10-15pcs minimum, that number could easily be higher but all depends on the interest I receive from potential buyers of the parts.

JAZZCNC
26-10-2011, 11:44 PM
this time next year we'll be millionairs :smile:

Ah ah only if we win the lottery. .:rofl: