PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hi all just a few questions!

dubchip
07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post and I'm very excited about discovering this world of CNC routing. I'm a carpenter by profession and have moved into the world of cabinet making over the last few years making mostly MDF wardrobes and units but also on occasion veneered and solid wood furniture. I have most of the usual hand and power tools that you would expect and couldn't live without my routers but I now feel that I'm at a bit of a crossroads about expansion, such as should I train up a helper and /or make a big investment in machinery. As you probably know accuracy is all important in this job and a CNC router would seem to tick all the right boxes in that respect and I wouldn't be so dependent on finding a helper that needs to be consistently accurate. I only really started investigating CNC a few weeks ago and what I would like to know is do you need to have very good computer skills for the design and programming and if someone could suggest a good general book on the subject. Your answers would be much appreciated. Thanks

Jonathan
10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
what I would like to know is do you need to have very good computer skills for the design and programming and if someone could suggest a good general book on the subject.

It helps, but not really ... you've only got to learn how to use two or 3 programs - the CAD/CAM software you use and Mach3 or EMC2.
Books - A lot of the programs have good guides or help files you can refer to. Some people like to look on Youtube for guides, not me personally. Can obviously also ask specific questions here...

JAZZCNC
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Erm.!! . . . .Whats going off here then.? . . . Same question been posted twice.!!

Jonathan
10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Erm.!! . . . .Whats going off here then.? . . . Same question been posted twice.!!

Obviously didn't notice until it was too late... perhaps Lee can combine the threads?