PDA

View Full Version : thought i knew but i don't,help

deannos
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Ok i have the following,

MSD 542 drivers
M60STH88-3008DF motors
Routout CNC 25 way D BOB

Now i understand its best to wire this in Bipolar parallel, but thats all i know. I have got diagrams and i still don't get it. Can some one please do me a simple,easy to read diagram, walk through etc. Because at the moment i'm :confused:

am i right in thinking the motors wires would be paired as

A+ Blue-Red
A Blue/w-Red/w
B+ Green-Black
B Green/w-black/w

Ok i think i understand it now, just need my wire combos checking by someone.

Also do i ignore the ENA pins on the drivers

Jonathan
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
No...that's a short circuit

A+ = Red + Blue/White
A- = Red/White + Blue

B+ = Green + Black/White
B- = Green/White + Black

Bipolar series gets better torque at very low speed, so it's not much use for you.

Also do i ignore the ENA pins on the drivers

Yes, they're active low so just leave them.

Robin Hewitt
13-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Bipolar series gets better torque at very low speed, so it's not much use for you.

I always wire in series. There isn't lot of difference in performance, you save money on the PSU and the motors run cooler.

deannos
13-11-2011, 02:15 AM
[QUOTE=Jonathan;25682]No...that's a short circuit

A+ = Red + Blue/White
A- = Red/White + Blue

B+ = Green + Black/White
B- = Green/White + Black

I think i understand it now, so should the B+ and B- colours be switched?

Robin Hewitt
13-11-2011, 08:58 AM
If you reverse A+ A- or B+ B- you reverse the motor.

Jonathan
13-11-2011, 09:07 AM
That's in parallel, by all means try series and let us know the difference.

I always wire in series. There isn't lot of difference in performance, you save money on the PSU and the motors run cooler.

Yours are on the 240V drivers though, and at that voltage (340v ish when rectified) the current can change very fast even in series, so they're better off in series to reduce the heat.

Put your motors in parallel then see if you can get 25mm/s :naughty:
(No DON'T do that, just kidding)

Further reading:
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/3861-MY-CNC-sessions-are-now-like-laundry-day....?p=25191&viewfull=1#post25191

deannos
13-11-2011, 10:47 AM
If you reverse A+ A- or B+ B- you reverse the motor.

If i follow the colours on this data sheet, the A+ A- match up, but the B+ B- seem reversed to the colours Jon posted. Am i reading it wrong, i'm looking at the diagram bottom right

[/URL][url]www.motioncontrolproducts.com/pdfs/ (http://www.motioncontrolproducts.com/motors/hybrid-nema-23-stepper-motors.php?cat=1)M60STH88-3008DF.pdf

Jonathan
13-11-2011, 11:55 AM
What I posted is fine - as Robin said if you swap A+ and A-, OR B+ and B- the motor will just spin the other way... i.e. if you change the current direction in either phase.