PDA

View Full Version : wiring the drivers to the BOB

deannos
26-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Started wiring up the electronics and i have used some screened cable to connect the BOB to the drivers. But i haven't seperated the individual wires, they are still incased with the sheilding etc. Would they be ok like this or would it be better to use the individual wires stripped of the shielding

Lee Roberts
26-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi,

Yes what you should really do is use the individual wires, the shielding/screen should be connected to your earth point at one end only AND NOT at both ends.

Additionally a site search (http://www.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-3900933576813855%3Ayj2gzr-ru4w&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=wiring&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.mycncuk.com%2Fforums%2Fforum.php#gsc.t ab=0&gsc.q=wiring&gsc.page=1) returns a number of threads covering wiring (http://www.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-3900933576813855%3Ayj2gzr-ru4w&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=wiring&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&siteurl=www.mycncuk.com%2Fforums%2Fforum.php#gsc.t ab=0&gsc.q=wiring&gsc.page=1) :cool:

.Me

deannos
26-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Hi,

Yes what you should really do is use the individual wires, the shielding/screen should be connected to your earth point at one end only AND NOT at both ends.

.Me

I'm using the wires individually, but if i strip off the insulation and shielding how can i earth the sheilding, this is for the pul/dir signals only

Lee Roberts
26-11-2011, 06:47 PM
What cable have you used? Is it something like 8 cores with screened pairs or just the cores with one screen covering them all?

Obviously you need to strip the insulation off each core to make a connection :confused:, I would then neatly terminate the screen at the driver unit end of the cable, then properly join the screens at the other end (if applicable) or join the screen to your earth point.

What cable have you used?

.Me

deannos
26-11-2011, 06:51 PM
What cable have you used? Is it something like 8 cores with screened pairs or just the cores with one screen covering them all?

Obviously you need to strip the insulation off each core to make a connection :confused:, I would then neatly terminate the screen at the driver unit end of the cable, then properly join the screens at the other end (if applicable) or join the screen to your earth point.

What cable have you used?

.Me

its 4 core with 1 screen covering them all, by insulation i meant the out side sheath

Lee Roberts
26-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Cool so use the cores like you are then, at the driver end strip the outer sheath and the screen back to something your comfortable with, then at the BOB end of the cable connect up like you have for the drivers but this time when you strip the outer sheath for the main cable keep the screen intact as best you can and then connect the screen to a common earth point.

Basically if I understand right, you only connect the screen at one end so it can discharge, if it was connected at both ends then the discharge wouldn’t happen and the charge would just move around the circuit in a loop.

.Me