PDA

View Full Version : looking for a coupling

Scott
21-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi guys i`m looking for a coupling but cant seem to find the size im looking for
i`m after a ridgid style one piece clamp coupler to connect a 14mm shaft to 16mm shaft
i would make one but my lathe is out of action till i can find parts

if some one could point me in the right direction i would be greatful
or if you can make one send me a quote

black5f
21-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi
Wow, just looked them up, not cheap are they? I'm sure you've looked into it but are you sure you can't get away with an oldham, they are a lot cheaper and seems a lot of money to then have to make a bush. With oldhams you can bore them out but at the price, I've bough tteo before and swappd ends. Thats a Ruland bush? They will make any two bore sizes, I suspect they will want some significant money though!

http://www.ruland.com/ps_couplings_rigid_mspx.asp

Tom

Scott
21-12-2011, 04:22 PM
going to make them my self i bumped in to a old friend of mine who has a lathe (i forgot he had that lol)

Jonathan
22-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Was going to offer to make one as I've done lots in the past. Let me know if you still need it.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it's best if you bore the 14mm and 16mm hole both frome the same side of the coupling, i.e. do it all without taking the material out of the chuck. That ensures the two holes are perfectly concentric.

Scott
22-12-2011, 02:15 PM
just wondered is the picture your work ????
if so pm me a offer depending on the price i might take you up on it

Jonathan
22-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes they are...used to sell them on eBay then decided it's just not worth it. They look like 8mm ones. For your size I would use 30mm aluminium bar, how long?

Here's some more I made earlier:

Scott
22-12-2011, 07:24 PM
about 80mm long want good contact area both ends

will 30mm bar have anough meat left on the 16mm end for the screws ??

Swarfing
22-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Jonathan you might want to consider allowing the slit to cut the opposite side as well. it allows it to grip much better. Scott if you want one of theses to cover the whole screw (thread as well) then that is not good. You need to take some off to about 12mm which should be about the bottom of the thread, 16mm seems a bit big?

Scott
22-12-2011, 09:41 PM
i`m sure you are thinking for a leadscrew??? first post makes it sound like it lol
all i need to do is connect a 14mm motor shaft to a 16mm shaft with a sprocket on it

Jonathan
22-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Jonathan you might want to consider allowing the slit to cut the opposite side as well. it allows it to grip much better.

I did consider it, but my slitting saw is not big enough. When I get a bigger one I'll do that.

Scott if you want one of theses to cover the whole screw (thread as well) then that is not good. You need to take some off to about 12mm which should be about the bottom of the thread, 16mm seems a bit big?

It would be helpful to know what it's for. 16mm implies a ballscrew, but 14mm is a bit big for a motor and 80mm is a bit much....perhaps it's for something else?

Edit: Didn't see previous post in time, so it is something else...

Scott
22-12-2011, 10:16 PM
the coupling was for a very odd conveyor system i`m fixing
the motor is just a dc motor with 14mm shaft but thats fine if you cant do it not a problem

didnt think the length would be much of a problem (80mm long)

Swarfing
23-12-2011, 12:35 AM
No worries on the slitting saw Jonathan, Scot i now understand what you need. if this shaft is of any real length i would seriously consider a split or cushion coupling like an oldham? Like Jonathan suggested about being careful with doing the machining from one side only to keep things straight. If it is not you will get trouble later with breakages. Where abouts are you located Scot?

Scott
23-12-2011, 12:08 PM
thanks guys i got it covered. i have no choice in the coupler the owner of the equipment wants it done that way
i got volunteered to do the job by a friend i will have words with lol dont know why he volunteered me i only do this as a hobby
got the keys to my friend workshop so i`m going to make and fit the part later just to get rid of the job

Scott
27-12-2011, 09:20 AM
did look on ebay there was a few but not the size i needed
anyway jobs done now made it my self

Jonathan
27-12-2011, 05:21 PM
i need one for an 8mm and 10mm shaft sharpish if you have one handy jonathan pm me.

I can make one soon enough, message sent.