PDA

View Full Version : wall and floor fixing am I the only one ????????????

luke11cnc
29-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Well I've been fitting my bed (only MDF for now) but I have come to the conclusion that the CNC Machine needs fixing to the floor and screwing to the walls as when I jog it you can see it shake I think it is moving as a hole item (wish I had made it out of steel now)

Am I the only one that has done this??

I will be fitting two six millimetre Aluminium sheets to the long sides of the CNC machine just for good measure later on. So they will measure around
1290x300

James

John S
29-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Is there room in the design for two diagonal stretchers from corner to corner ?

Jonathan
29-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Is there room in the design for two diagonal stretchers from corner to corner ?

I think so...

It's common to fix them to the floor, but not the wall. I think it's a good idea to fix it to the wall too so long as you can do it without distorting the frame. The wall is obviously very strong so if the frame is fixed to the 2 walls at a few points you've immediately made it significantly stronger, in addition to stopping it moving.

JAZZCNC
29-12-2011, 12:57 PM
But why is it moving should be a question.? . . . Is it just the inertial movement from stopping etc while fast jogging or is it from vibration.?

If it's inertial then it's simply the lack of mass but if it's vibrating or shacking from miss aliagnment then you need to find the cause because even if it's fastened to the wall floor while it won't walk around the floor it will still resonate and show in the finished cut. . . . It will also destroy it's self in a short amount of time if too bad.

It's not uncommon for small or light framed machines to walk around while rapid jogging so nearly always need bolting down. Even my steel framed machine is bolted down.

Jonathan
29-12-2011, 01:50 PM
It's moving due to the acceleration / deceleration, i.e. when it changes direction rapidly. We tried the 'Bulls Head' test sign in Vcarve which dots around a lot...

I doubt it's a problem of misalignment. All the slides are very smooth.

Swarfing
29-12-2011, 02:09 PM
It sounds like it needs more reinforcement like John says, plates on the sides would be the most benefit

luke11cnc
30-12-2011, 09:50 AM
well I've added some brackets with more to be added over the weekend and bolt the machine to the floor

here is a short video of the machine moving.

http://youtu.be/WN39HY7G0DE

James

Swarfing
30-12-2011, 11:06 AM
It looks like you have been worrying about this for a long time (since 2007) :joker:

Jonathan
30-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Not bad, but it's not set to the full acceleration and speed yet...

Try running that with the program we cut as just moving through the corners only changes direction 4 times so there's only 4 times the coin might fall over.

It looks like you have been worrying about this for a long time (since 2007)
:joker:
:)

JAZZCNC
30-12-2011, 12:04 PM
It looks like you have been worrying about this for a long time (since 2007) :joker:

It took that long for the coins super glue to dry. .:joker:

Looks like your worring about nothing there James.!! . . . Crank up the Accelleration/velocity and lets see it. Edit: Preferably cutting.:smile:

On another note.!. . . Are you going to lift those spindle brackets further up the front plate, basicly so the collet just clears the bottom of plate so your not wasting clearence height.?

Jonathan
30-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Looks like your worring about nothing there James.!!

Now it is fixed down, yes that's shown there's nothing to worry about.

On another note.!. . . Are you going to lift those spindle brackets further up the front plate, basicly so the collet just clears the bottom of plate so your not wasting clearence height.?

Don't see the point as the height of the bed is adjustable, and doing that would mean the Z-axis would generally operate further down, which is weaker unless you compensate by putting the bed higher but I suspect it is already at the limit? Also if the collet just clearly the Z-axis could get in the way/collide with a large 3D part when cutting low down.

JAZZCNC
30-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Don't see the point as the height of the bed is adjustable, and doing that would mean the Z-axis would generally operate further down

Ah ah thought it was strange having all that Z axis travel and so little clearence didn't know the bed was adjustable, doesn't look it from the Vid. I should probably payed more attention to the rest of the thread!! . . . . ME BAD.:confused: . . In that case forget what I said.:rofl:

Web Goblin
30-12-2011, 03:22 PM
2007, and I thought my build took a long time :lol:

luke11cnc
30-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Very Funny

I broke my camera the other week and only have a Car Video camera (the one's of ebay for £20.00) and it's ok for the quick up load and plus I can't read Chinese to change the date settings.

I have a video camera but no cables to get it from video to computer (it's Hi8 I think) I have ordered a set of cables today from ebay

well I've screwed the Machine down now and just waiting to pick up some corner brackets from Jonathan on Saturday My software has arrived so I should get that running tonight

So I should be cutting by Sunday/Monday

James

Swarfing
30-12-2011, 11:08 PM
James just sounds like excuses to me?? just get out there and cut something before we all burst for gods sake??? blowing air cuts nothing :tup:

Jonathan
30-12-2011, 11:45 PM
blowing air cuts nothing :tup:

So what are all the tools you attach to an air compressor for then [insert suitable smiley here]