PDA

View Full Version : How anti social!

black5f
01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
So I get some time to play with my cnc mill and.. my 600W Kress has just given up on me. Bit anti social, bearings went and it sat there cooking till the fuse went! I smelled burning comming from the garage (generally a bad thing!). It was very hot and still smoking, although the fuse had tripped. I was having a lovely day playing with v carved fonts as well! Got an appropriate tounge lashing form SWMBO. It was 25 years old (RIP). I have a spare somewhere but it's put away in a box in the shed after being forced to clear up and it's too cold to look for it. So I'm on the proxon thing, a lovely DC head but, gets hot after 20 minutes or so, (Note: must make a water cooled jacket sometime).

Re v carve, I bought a bit but it has a 1mm tip. Does anybody know where I can get one with a point? Need two, a small one (1/8 shank) and a 1/4" shank, say 1/2" diameter, 60 degree ideally? Some of the fonts have very sleek sharp strokes which don't show up with a blunt ended bit. I must find the spare Kress as the largest proxon collet is 6mm. How annoying is that! Oh, my 1/4" taper reamer is put away too!

Happy New Year.
Tom

Jonathan
01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I got some with a point from toolstation once, but either they've stopped selling them or I'm just not looking properly.

best luck for the rest of the year tom,get a water cooled job,you wont regret it,

Agreed...

Spot drills often go to a point and they're available in lots of sizes, so you can do intricate carving with them. I did this one with a 6mm 90 degree spot drill:

Jonathan
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
jon that looks stunning .mayan calender?what size is it:wink:

Thanks... yes it's an Aztec/Mayan calender and I'm not sure which year! It's 150mm diameter, about 11mm thick. Now I bet you want to cut aluminium on your router again :smile:

black5f
01-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I got some with a point from toolstation once, but either they've stopped selling them or I'm just not looking properly.

Agreed...

Spot drills often go to a point and they're available in lots of sizes, so you can do intricate carving with them. I did this one with a 6mm 90 degree spot drill:

Oooo, thats nice. I tried a small dremmel thing but it snapped after ten minutes :-( My current solution is just to make the font's bigger until I can find one.

T

black5f
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
best luck for the rest of the year tom,get a water cooled job,you wont regret it,

Cheers mate. It'll all happen when I get my lathe turned back the right way round! .. It got moved as well, extension over the garage, put me behind on projects for months!.

T

black5f
01-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks... yes it's an Aztec/Mayan calender and I'm not sure which year! It's 150mm diameter, about 11mm thick. Now I bet you want to cut aluminium on your router again :smile:

So if I'm reading it correctly, I'v egot until Dec 21st to find my spare Kress :-)

Web Goblin
01-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Nice work Jonathan. What did you generate the code with?

Ian

Jonathan
02-01-2012, 12:06 AM

Vectric V-carve, except it wasn't me. Jazz kindly gave me the code which saved a lot of time! :tup:

So if I'm reading it correctly, I'v egot until Dec 21st to find my spare Kress :-)

Yes, ideally a bit before then.

Given the interest in this it looks like I forgot to post it on the forum at the time!

Web Goblin
02-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Might have to speak nicely to Jazz. I would like to give that a go.

Youve got plenty of time to find the spare Kress. The guy who carved the calendar couldnt find his spare chisel to finish it.

black5f
02-01-2012, 01:29 AM

Ian

Also interested in the details, how did you create the relief?

Tom

Web Goblin
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
In case any one wants one I now have a .dwg file of the Aztec calendar.

Ian

black5f
04-01-2012, 02:52 AM

Ian

Mmmm, it's about time I did something proper! Found the spare kress! Spent all day cutting out 2 pence pieces, another excellent waste of time :-)

Tom

Jonathan
04-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Found the spare kress!

Bought a proper spindle for when that goes yet?

Spent all day cutting out 2 pence pieces, another excellent waste of time :-)

That's illegal isn't it :naughty:

deannos
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Ian

I would like one please

JAZZCNC
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Vectric V-carve, except it wasn't me. Jazz kindly gave me the code which saved a lot of time! :tup:

It was actually done im Artcam pro not vectric V-carve.! If anyone wants the code there welcome to it but it's a 17mb file and over 1 million lines of code.
PM me with email and I'll send.

Ian, (Web Goblin)
The guy who gave me these dxf's(Carve0ne on cnczone) was cutting quite large disc's in mdf and oak. I wanted to cut 150mm in Ali so the dxf's had to be scale down which caused quite a bit of editing and tweaking. So if you paln on doing small disc's then depending on the dxf you've found, (which I guess will have originated where mine came from or could even be my dxf's if 150mm because I did make them available along with the code) may have to do the same.?

Web Goblin
04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Jazz,
I dont think this one came from cnczone. It came into cad at around 30mm diameter. I have scaled it to 120 dia and it looks ok after regen. I will probably put it through V carve at the weekend and see how it comes out. Havent got time just now because im working on something for a friend. Just out of curiosity have you machined bakelite before?

black5f
04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Bought a proper spindle for when that goes yet?

That's illegal isn't it :naughty:

Re Kress, In all fairness, it was 25 ish years old. Re proper spindle, I really like this proxon thing, it's not fast but has a lot of torque so will handle even a fly cutter, but gets hot so I have a back burner water cooling project when time allows! What I would really really like is a spare Sherline headstock to put on it.

Re illegal. Well, technically, yes, but after doing some big deep v carving fancied some small stuff and an alignment experiment. You have to understand, I rarely do anything constructive! I'd like too and make some cash but I always get embedded in a software re write of something. It's running really well at the moment, built myself another base, it's got a sliding shelf for key board and mouse, and even an lcd moniter on a bracket. That saves me 4 ft in the garage whch I desperately needed due to an extension which lost me 8 inches in width. I'm trying to re arrange things, things that will have a home rather than a share of a pile of junk! Everything got cleared out and now it needs to go back, so I have the space for the many projects that I'll never finish!.

Tom

JAZZCNC
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Jazz,
Just out of curiosity have you machined bakelite before?

No sorry it's something I've never worked with.!

If you have any probs with the Aztec just let me know and I'll Email you what I have.

black5f
04-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Coins and stuff

black5f
04-01-2012, 10:49 PM
An excercise in trying to mount concentric and mill. Thin one: the edge varies from 0.34 to 0.4 mm so not bad. But the mount was in wood (just a 26mm hole bored) so had some give. The top part was in ali to form a clamp to hold the 2p down, 25.6 hole with a small 26 dia 0.5 deep lip. Was trying to get the edges as thin as I could, must have over cooked it as on attempt the 1/16 end mill bit snapped. It only has 3mm flute length so I think it touched the clamp edge which was enough to stress it. T/C ouch! Took some vid of the v carving, mute your sound, it's terribly noisy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK4I9wCRHyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiEs_zk4BIY

Did this about 15 years ago, never used them, intended for an O guage model of George Stephenson, thats a Black5 BTW with unique valve gear. They were never used (yet) and they are taper fluted with 1/32 bit. They are out of 1/16 N/S. Never been cleaned up and still have the support tabs and smells of treflex, so nothing changes!

The profiled bits on this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49332365@N08/5443643826/in/set-72157625918196683
Were done on this same machine as well, mild steel. Something else I have to finish!

But back in BC (Before Cnc), we had a device called a file :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49332365@N08/5443038959/in/set-72157625918196683

Tom

black5f
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
nice work fella, the ac dc is bugging el out of us.whats the material?

It's a really really cheap bit of chip board, so cheap it has a white paper face! I have a lovely slice of ash, some oak and french mahogany but was clearing out, found this and on the spur thought I'd carve it. It used to be a tempory shelf that sat in the bottom of the old base now defunct cuz I built a new one over xmas, that has a sliding draw with the keyboard and mouse on and even an lcd screen on a swinging arm origionally destined for a bedroom but didnt fit. The lcd was laying in teh garage for a year cuz the base snapped off.

Tom

black5f
04-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Cheers Chip! Stumbled across a Squealer font.

Tom