PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Aluminium sculpture to be CNC'ed

dav
06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi There

I am a sculptor looking to get this piece CNC'ed:

The piece is currently approx 1 meter tall but I reckon I could get away with scaling it down to 65 cm in height. It may also be CNC'ed in sections and I can tig weld it together afterwards.

The budget is £800.

Is this possible?

Many Thanks

Dave

mocha
07-01-2012, 12:10 PM
deleted post

Jonathan
07-01-2012, 12:54 PM
would it not be easier to get it cast, or even 3d printed?

I think casting would be easier. Perhaps get a former made from wood on a CNC router and use that to make the mould to sand cast it.

Jonathan
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
You can use either, but here wax is going to be easier as there's no obvious place to split the mould to get a former out.

Nice link from 'How it's made'- didn't know there were rapid prototypers that use metal, not plastic. How it's made is such a good program, even better if you mute it.

dav
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I think casting would be easier. Perhaps get a former made from wood on a CNC router and use that to make the mould to sand cast it.

Hi Jonathan

Yes I work in a sculpture fabrication workshop and have some access to a small foundry and resin bonded sand facilities, if the piece was able to be milled in wood ...and cast in sections say the cloud ,the body and the helmit I could cast these in aluminium and tig weld them together after. although the resin bonded sand, aluminium and gas would eat in to my £800 budget a bit. What would it cost to have the former's milled for a 65cm tall version in wood ?

Thanks
David

dav
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
You can even print the wax models for casting now,amazing stuff!!,if my shed and bank balance were bigger,id have it all:lol:

dave if this is an option to you, it might be worth you having a word with kevin at http://rapido3d.co.uk/ great chap knows his stuff

Thanks Chip

I will send Kevin off the 3D file to see what he makes of it....yes if it could be printed in aluminium this would be amazing not sure my £800 budget would stretch to it though...

dav
07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi Jonathan

Yes a former made of would could do the trick, I work in a sculpture fabrication facility and have access to a small foundry. If 3 former's for the piece could be made (the cloud, the body and the helmet) I could make 2 piece resin bonded sand moulds for each of the former's and cast them, the 3 cast aluminium pieces could then be tig welded back together. I would not be able to offer the full £800 though as I would need to take resin bonded sand, gas, aluminium and finishing etc out of the budget for it. What price do you reckon I could get the formers milled in wood for?

Many Thanks
David