PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello everyone advice required please.

Paul-in-Bury
24-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Hello everyone

I am 37 years old and have reached a point in my career where i feel its time for a change and I am looking to train to be a CNC operator. I am a carpenter and joiner by trade and i have also worked as an aluminium fabricator. I also have about 3 years AutoCad experience producing working drawings for the aluminium company. I have had 3 jobs in the last 18 months all of which have ended with redundancy with short time in between. I have now been out of work for 2 months have applied for over 40 jobs and not had a single interview. I feel the building industry is in taters along with many other industries at the moment and feel it is time for a change in career.

I have decided im going to look into a career as a CNC operator as this has been on my mind for a long time now but i have never done anything about it. I feel i have the technical ability to achieve this, and i am looking for some advice as to how to enter the profession. If anybody can offer me any advice on where to start i would be very gratful as i have trolled the internet and all i can find are posts for qualified CNC operators no trainee and opertunities for 16 - 19 yrs. I'm hoping that somebody may be able to advise me as a cnc operator or a potential employer what they would look for in a cnc operator so i know what i need to do to fulfill my abition, be it go back to college (which courses) beg to companies offering my services for minimum wage to get an opertunity to train. whatever is required any advice would be very much appreciated.

I fully understand that this is a very highly skilled job and i'm under no illussions that this will be a walk in the park, but I am prepared to put in the time and effort to get there, i just need pointing in the right direction.

Thank you

Paul

norin1373
26-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Dear Paul

Operating CNC machines is divided to tow separate parts: CAD & CAM

For the first part you have to be able to work with one of designing soft wares. As you said you have experience working with AutoCAD, it wouldn't be so much hard for you to learn working with one of designing soft wares. AutoCAD, Solid works, Power shape and ... are those soft wares. But Catia is the world leading one for 3d parts and its user friendly too. I myself using it. You can also

For the second part you need to work with a CAM software like Master cam, Solid cam, Dolphin and ... But Power mill is a user friendly soft ware and good for 3Axis milling. If you have experience working with manual milling or lath machine or if you are technical man it would be simple for you to learn.

Now you are a CNC operator.

You can feel free to contact me if you want to know more or learn. [email protected] ([email protected])

Thanks,

M.R. Norin