PDA

View Full Version : Viacad purchase problem

motoxy
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Thought I would try out viacad 2d/3d v8 as a product to create models and export stl/dxf. Not expensive so worth a punt......or not. Tried to use the website for a purchased download and failed. Went to their selling partners for uk. This consists of amazon where its not available, version 5-7 on other sites and 100% price hike on cadsoftsolutions. Take it they have no plans to sell in the uk.:thumbdown:

Bruce

m.marino
01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Bruce,

I don't know what is going on with that as I had no problem when I bought mine via internet. I can see that would be a big turn off and has me wondering as their forum site is also down at the moment for reasons unknown. Will have to see what is going on and hopefully they can fix it shortly.

Michael

John S
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I had similar problems when looking for a 3D program.
Read the blurb about Viacad V8 and it looked good, filled the form in to get the demo which should have given you a link via email - no link.

Did it all again the following day and same happened.

Contacted Viacad direct and was told there is no demo for V8, the link doesn't work !

Sent back then why have a link on the page ? They repeated link doesn't go anywhere and he's a copy of V7 demo.

Wanted to try V8 as it had a lot of new stuff in but if this is how they treat a prospective customer it doesn't bode well. Didn't even bother downloading V7.

motoxy
01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Amazing! Cannot buy it cannot demo it ....thats the way to run a business.

Bruce

Swarfing
01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
If you fancy something quite powerful for free then give medusa a go

http://www.cad-schroer.co.uk/Software/MEDUSA4/CADFreeware/

You need to keep in touch etc for the license but if get on with it then that would not matter. I have it running on linux ok (version4)

JAZZCNC
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
If you have a student in the family then buy Rhino 3D on student license it's super powerfull but yet easy and quick to learn.

You've probably seen some of the models I post up, Often I'll draw models in reply to post just to show what I mean because it's that quick. When you have become familiar with it then you can knock really accurate and models up in no time.

motoxy
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Quick update from punchcad. They can no longer supply this software in the uk. Not even as a download. So its either an old version of amazon or 3 times the asking price from cadsoftsolutions. Think I will have to pass.
No where can I find a student...em

Bruce

motoxy
02-02-2012, 06:56 PM
If you fancy something quite powerful for free then give medusa a go

http://www.cad-schroer.co.uk/Software/MEDUSA4/CADFreeware/

You need to keep in touch etc for the license but if get on with it then that would not matter. I have it running on linux ok (version4)

Giving medusa a try. At least they want me to!!

m.marino
04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Update folks,

I went to the Punch Forum and Let Tim Olson know what is going on and Nick from CAD Soft solutions as well as Tim have gotten the problem fixed and the price for ViaCAD 2D3D v8 is now for sale at £65 for a copy here in the UK. Which is a really good improvement, they are also self funding a 25% discount on upgrades for Shark FX v8 which if you have an earlier copy is a really good price of £221 for a full upgrade to the newest version which really nice software. So anyone who wants to can go look for themselves but the problem has been solved.

I am having fun learning how to use the Electronic symbols library that comes with ViaCAD for laying out the power supply unit I am building so that there is a detailed record of what went into it besides in my head.

Take care and keep cutting.

Michael

motoxy
04-02-2012, 03:03 PM
How the heck did you get them to drop their price by£100???? :surprised:

Never mind it may be better if dont know about your connections possibly involving horses heads on pillows:lol:

I have ordered a copy and hopefully will get it soon.

Thanks Michael

Bruce

John S
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
So is there a demo for V8 yet ?

Swarfing
04-02-2012, 07:09 PM
It's a bargain at that price, shame it don't run on linux :cry:

John S
04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Bugger all useful runs on linux.:whistling:

HankMcSpank
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I had all the same troubles as everyone else on here (emailing for a demo - never heard back), someone sent me this link...

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/viacad3dv8/ViaCAD2D3DV8BETA1000.exe I think it's a beta...but you'll get the general vibe.

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Bugger all useful runs on linux.:whistling:

See there we go again technical user sucked in by that religion called Microsoft:nope:. It will always end in tears :naughty:

Has anybody commented on medusa4 yet? interested in any others views on it?

John S
05-02-2012, 02:18 AM
been playing with it.
A bit clunky doing 2D drawing in that you have to use the protractor. I was expecting to belt a sketch out and then edit it by dimensions like a true para metric program. Unless I'm missing something, not hard only just stared with it, I can't see a quick way to draw horizontal or vertical lines.

Not bothered about it being free, don't mind paying if it saves me time.

motoxy
05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Gave medusa a go. Seems to require alot of differant tool selections to achive much. Bit quirky for me.

Bruce

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I think there are certain ways these developers approach their applications and i think that medusa is very good at what it does. I do though think it is a bit clunky in places too. I down loaded way last year and did not look at it much until this thread appeared. Still not bad though for us linux fans.

Saying that i do have a windows machine (just one) used for CamBam. And after doing a bit of poking about on viacad am hooked and will be purchasing a copy :-).

motoxy
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
is there not some sort of shell on linux to allow the running of ms products?

or maybe even put an ms partition on just for the cad.

Bruce

John S
05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes downloaded that demo copy of Viacad and having a play, problem I have is lack of time to evaluate these things.
Bought the upgrade to Alibre and the training videos so a bit committed but if Viacad is easier to lern I'll make the move over.

As I say it's not all about cost but the learning curve. Couple of quick questions as I haven't got that far in and that demo times out on the 12th of Feb but does Viacad generate 2D drawings automatically from the model ? secondly I know there are some demo's but is there a downlaodable and printable manual, can't seem to find one ?

motoxy
05-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Help button should bring up the manual.

For 2d drawings from 3d just under the 3d menu there is a button to produce a drawing. I would select best fit for scale to start with . You can add the dimensions and add other views if required. The drawing sheets and be added to if you want your own design. You can add bom and attributes to the items.

Bruce

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I could try running it under WINE but would not want to spend money on something and entrust it to that. It will be fine on my vista box

backyard_cnc
18-04-2012, 12:04 AM
I bought and downloaded V8 direct from the website no problems at all about 6 weeks ago. Decent software for the money, quite easy to use.

gerald