PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Pre-RFQ Design

Hutchie
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to get this CNC and bent. Before I do that, I would like some input on it's feasibility. It is a stand to hold a TV on the front. It is currently designed for the piece to be CNCed from 1/4" aluminium and then bent three times to form a stand. The reason for the recess below the TV is for a speaker to go in. I know the bends won't be perfectly square and I rather they be rounded, but I haven't put these in the CAD design yet as I am just fleshing out the idea.

Do you guys think this design is feasible for holding a TV? What would be the cost to get this piece made?

Cheers!

http://imagehost.losias.net/images/pETB9.png

http://imagehost.losias.net/images/kdLMb.png

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 01:37 AM
This looks like something that could be cut from strips and a jig for drilling the holes (or punched) rather than cnc work?

The strips can be shear'd and pressed to do the bends would be more suitable? depends on the quantity really? you would need to think about the type ali that would be suitable for bending. You would be better off making it out of steel really? but thats my thoughts

Hutchie
05-02-2012, 01:41 AM
This looks like something that could be cut from strips and a jig for drilling the holes (or punched) rather than cnc work?

The strips can be shear'd and pressed to do the bends would be more suitable? depends on the quantity really? you would need to think about the type ali that would be suitable for bending. You would be better off making it out of steel really? but thats my thoughts

Agreed, can probably just punch out a large square of alu or steel and just bend it but I do want to round the edges and bends. Strips? Not sure what you mean. I want it to be one solid piece that is then just bent.

This might give a better view.

http://imagehost.losias.net/images/hlLvS.png

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 01:50 AM
You would just cut (with a mechanical saw) or shear lengths of steel the put them in a press rather that cut them out with a cnc is what i was saying. You would get less waste

Hutchie
05-02-2012, 01:56 AM
You would just cut (with a mechanical saw) or shear lengths of steel the put them in a press rather that cut them out with a cnc is what i was saying. You would get less waste

Agreed.

Know of anyone or shops that can cut it out and bend it as necessary? Also would like to get it anodized or powder coated after.

JAZZCNC
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
The bending is easy and could easily be done at home by using pre cut width's and clamping the material between 2 blocks of substantial wood then mending by hand and manipulating square/flat using flat block/mallet/ combo.

Not sure how you intend to mount/arrange this but if it's intended to free stand IE: Floor or Cabinet then Personaly as you have it designed then I don't think 200 x 6.75mm Ali is any where near strong enough to hold a TV.? . . . Would think about some gusseting or bracing.!

Web Goblin
05-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Also if you are looking at bending aluminium you would need to heat it or it will crack.

Jonathan
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Also if you are looking at bending aluminium you would need to heat it or it will crack.

Yes, put some soap on where you need to anneal it for bending then heat it. When the soap goes black that's the right temperature for annealing, so allow it to cool. I've done that with aluminium and 1/4" becomes soft enough to bend by hand once annealed, although it will depend on the grade.

How much does the TV weigh?

JAZZCNC
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
How much does the TV weigh?

Working on the fact the back piece is 500mm high then I don't think it's intended for portable or small TV.?

Hutchie
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
The bending is easy and could easily be done at home by using pre cut width's and clamping the material between 2 blocks of substantial wood then mending by hand and manipulating square/flat using flat block/mallet/ combo.

Not sure how you intend to mount/arrange this but if it's intended to free stand IE: Floor or Cabinet then Personaly as you have it designed then I don't think 200 x 6.75mm Ali is any where near strong enough to hold a TV.? . . . Would think about some gusseting or bracing.!

I just don't have the room to do it at the moment. Looking for a shop to do it for me. So, any recommendations?

Working on the fact the back piece is 500mm high then I don't think it's intended for portable or small TV.?

It is for a 37" TV, weighing 25lbs.

Swarfing
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hutchie

To answer your question just pick up the yellow pages (google) and phone a few engineering works for a quote. It will still depend on quantity though for how cheap it will be. Jazz's suggestion of doing it yourself for just a few would be more cost effective.

Alternatively buy yourself a fly press and away you go....Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

JAZZCNC
05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I just don't have the room to do it at the moment. Looking for a shop to do it for me. So, any recommendations?

No room required just a few clamps 2 blocks of wood and as been suggested an heat gun. . . . simplizzzz. 30min job