PDA

View Full Version : New to CNC: Best way to generate the g-code for this sign

drphil
22-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I have completed building my machine and have it working well, except for having a motor to become demagnitized. Waiting for replacement now. I have cut several demo projects without problem. I trying to cut the picture of the sign below. The blackouts are for privacy. I have drawn the image in Inkscape, so I have in in DXF and SVG formats. The pic is for ease of show here. I have tried various ways of encoding to G-code but have been unhappy with the results. The idea is to have all the white areas removed -.25" from the block faced leaving the black areas in standout. I have messed around with pycam, g-simple, lazycam and kcam. The best result was with image-to-gcode; however, with a 1/16" bit it took hours to complete and may have helped with the demagnetizing of my x-axis stepper. This is a large plaque about 15" x 15". I need some help and advice.

stumped.

JAZZCNC
23-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Try Cambam http://www.cambam.info/ this will easily do what you want.

Swarfing
23-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Since your a linux user it will run under xp from Virtual box.

drphil
07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info. CamBam was great. Short learning curve and I could do all the things I needed to for the plaque. Here is a picture of the first one. Waiting for approval from the board and then I have at least 14 more to do. Oh, and by the way I am not a linux user.

Swarfing
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Ah it was Inkscape and pycam that prompted me to say that........Well we can't save everybody? Glad to you are up and away anyway...good job

drphil
07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Still XP, but I try to use as much open source software as possible. Thanks for the help and the comments

Swarfing
07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
gooooood man!