PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 custom USB Keyboard

rnr107
27-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi all,
I am thinking of making a USB keyboard specially made for Mach3.
Basically it would be a box IP55 ratted (maybe 67?) with industrial grade push buttons.

I have the electronic working already (based on a PIC micro). For M$ Windows it would just looks like a USB keyboard.
Therefore, for Mach3, no special plugin requiered. Just need to make sure Mach is setup to use the default keys (lef, right, up and down arrows...)

Anybody would be interested in any of these? I am not sure how much it would cost yet... but I am preaty sure it is less than what is available today on the marcket) :wink:

RNR

John S
27-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Definitely interested but would like to see a layout ?

rnr107
27-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi John,
By "Layout" do you mean PCB or placement of the buttons?

RNR

John S
27-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Placement of buttons, sod the PCB that's black magic, ear of bat, tongue of newt territory.

rnr107
27-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Ha, OK.... :-)
Well, I haven't gone that far yet... For now buttons are just bolted to a piece of wood... ;-)
But I am open to sugestions...
I have a CNC mill, I can cut the holes for the buttons in a plastic or metal enclosure for any layout I guess... You could even make your own... I guess you have a mill right?

RNR

Jonathan
27-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I guess you have a mill right?

I think it's more how many milling machines does John S have!

I wouldn't mind making my own enclosure to keep the cost down.

rnr107
27-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Ha.... a real workshop man!
I like the idea of giving the choice of the enclosure, It does make it cheaper indeed... But more importantly it let you customise your controller at will!

I am not trying to make Millins of $ here... Just to make the price of the PCB affordable... As you know, a 1 of cost a fortune... where 100 of them get down to a few quids...

rnr107
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all,
I finally got around making an enclosure for my Mach3 USB keypad.
See pictures attached.

All parts are from RS electronic, if anyone would like to make one let me know... I'll post the necessary info...

RNR

Lee Roberts
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi nice work, what PIC chip are you using?

rnr107
04-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I use a the big one... :) 18F4550 in DIL package form (easier to hand solder)
it is a bit big, but plenty of I/O .... so plenty of options / buttons... ;)

Lee Roberts
04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I use a the big one... :) 18F4550 in DIL package form (easier to hand solder)
it is a bit big, but plenty of I/O .... so plenty of options / buttons... ;)

Cool did you see this: http://www.cncdudez.co.uk/2011electronics-index.htm

craigrobbo
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I would be quite interested in this, good concept!

Tenson
05-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm sure it's a fun project, but you can get these for £23 delivered - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Axis-CNC-USB-Pendant-Manual-remote-Control-JOG-encoder-Mach3-ONLY-/251042141237?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Netwo rking&hash=item3a73471435#ht_3091wt_1163

Web Goblin
05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Tenson,
I wouldn't recommend one of them. It doesn't have a proper emergency stop button and I doubt it would fulfill any legal requirements in this country . I really would hate to try and hit that little foil button and rely on it in an emergency.

Ian

Jonathan
05-05-2012, 05:50 PM
It doesn't have a proper emergency stop button and I doubt it would fulfill any legal requirements in this country . I really would hate to try and hit that little foil button and rely on it in an emergency.

Ideally one should not rely on software at all for an emergency stop button. I guess it would be nice to have one in your hand, but surely having a couple of E'stop switches on/near the machine is sufficient. There may well be other reasons not to get it...

John S
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Tenson,
I wouldn't recommend one of them. It doesn't have a proper emergency stop button and I doubt it would fulfill any legal requirements in this country . I really would hate to try and hit that little foil button and rely on it in an emergency.

Ian

But then again something like the shuttle can be just for jogging and that doesn't have a stop button, software or physical anyway.

Easiest way is to grip a proper E-Stop button between the cheeks of your arse.
Anything goes wrong and believe me you will press it :congratulatory:

blackburn mark
05-05-2012, 07:29 PM
E-Stop button between the cheeks of your arse.

hahaha!!!... yep.. that would do it... patent peniding

Jonathan
05-05-2012, 07:41 PM
E-Stop button between the cheeks of your arse.

Solar powered :friendly_wink:

i2i
05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Solar powered :friendly_wink:gas powered

John S
05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Solar powered :friendly_wink:

Come on Jonathan, get on the right page.
the sun doesn't shine down there

rnr107
05-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Cool did you see this: http://www.cncdudez.co.uk/2011electronics-index.htm

Humm... could use this board if I re-compile for the 16F2550. :) cheap PCB option...

I saw this pendant on eBay, but where is the fun in that? I like making my own... even if it cost a bit more.
Also, it is fully customizable... any button, any enclosure, any function.
You could even connect it to a arse pressed button solar or gas powered if you wanted to...LOL... :)

motoxy
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Any prices or details? Preferably not gas powered.

rnr107
05-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Any prices or details? Preferably not gas powered.

Hi Motoxy,
Do you mean the price of the components used ?
Price for the finished product....I don't know.... I guess I could build one for you for components price + shipping + £10 for my time ?

RNR

Web Goblin
06-05-2012, 10:54 PM
I used a MAME pcb for my joystick interface which basically maps the correct keys from the keyboard. The supplier customised it for me for free. It could also be used to map any other function the keyboard does for your software, ie axis control, speed override, home functions. It was a nice little project to build.

Ian

rnr107
08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I used a MAME pcb for my joystick interface which basically maps the correct keys from the keyboard. The supplier customised it for me for free. It could also be used to map any other function the keyboard does for your software, ie axis control, speed override, home functions. It was a nice little project to build.

Ian

Could be an option...

Here is the BOM for my version:

These are all the mains parts, just need to add a few caps and resistors... penys...

Chirpy
20-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi all,
I finally got around making an enclosure for my Mach3 USB keypad.
See pictures attached.

All parts are from RS electronic, if anyone would like to make one let me know... I'll post the necessary info...

RNR

Hi again Laurent, I should like details of this - I have cnced a Seig SX3 and am frustrated with jogging from keyboard this seems to fit the bill.
Many thanks
John

rnr107
20-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Hi John,
What do you requiere exactly?
Do you want to build the all think from scratch ?
Have you got any electronic background?

Laurent

Chirpy
21-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Laurent,
I have electronic background and would probably go from scratch, but if you have pcb.s or anything would like to discuss with you. It looks from your pics that it can be configured for a fourth axis which would serve me well.
Regards
John

rnr107
21-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Laurent,
I have electronic background and would probably go from scratch, but if you have pcb.s or anything would like to discuss with you. It looks from your pics that it can be configured for a fourth axis which would serve me well.
Regards
John

Hi John,
I don't have any PCBs done as it is too expenssive... I was hoping to get a bit more interrest from members of this forum so we could group a PCB order to get the price down. But it did not happen so....
I can provide you a schematic and an image to program in the PIC microcontroller.

For the 4th axis, At the moment all buttons are used X+, X-, Y+, Y-, Z+, Z-, Sart and Stop.
But I CNC the top cover of the enclosure myself. If could be machine differently to add a 4th axis... Or even use a different enclosure bigger to do more ???
The PIC micro controller I used has plenty of I/O spare so....

Have you got a PIC programmer ?

Laurent