PDA

View Full Version : BUILD LOG: second build, thanks for all the info.

tonyken
27-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi All, been reading and learning a lot on this site for quite a while, I built an mdf cnc last year and like most people got hooked and needed to build a better one. I decided to go with a fixed gantry this time and it looks like it will be a lot more stable than my previous moving gantry model. slightly larger footprint is small price to pay.
I used 1"x3" coated mdf for this one ,I have used the 3.1Nm Nema23 439oz stepper motors and TB6560 Driver board from 1st machine.

http://youtu.be/46GX5A206oE

I would like to thank all the people on this site for the helpfull information I have gained.
Cheers, Tony.

tonyken
29-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi All, been reading and learning a lot on this site for quite a while, I built an mdf cnc last year and like most people got hooked and needed to build a better one. I decided to go with a fixed gantry this time and it looks like it will be a lot more stable than my previous moving gantry model. slightly larger footprint is small price to pay.
I used 1"x3" coated mdf for this one ,I have used the 3.1Nm Nema23 439oz stepper motors and TB6560 Driver board from 1st machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GX5A206oE&feature=autoplay&list=ULSlu7VzHuMis&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1
I would like to thank all the people on this site for the helpfull information I have gained.
Cheers, Tony.

I appreciate most of you are probably in engineering so please make allowances for my low skills as I am actually a 60 year old hairdresser !! and this is just a very enjoyable hobby.

Lee Roberts
29-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Congrats on machine 2 Tony or is it Ken :confused:

tonyken
29-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Congrats on machine 2 Tony or is it Ken :confused:

Hi Lee, it's Tony, thanks.

audioandy
29-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Well done Tony

The fact that you have built a fully working machine is some achivement !

Well done :beer:

tonyken
01-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Well done Tony

The fact that you have built a fully working machine is some achivement !

Well done :beer:

Thanks a lot, it did feel good the first time ran it and it actually did what it was told, steep learning curve but well worth the effort. now down to thinking what to make with it !!

Jonathan
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
now down to thinking what to make with it !!

I know the feeling... made it because it was interesting to make, not for a specific purpose.

What screws are you using for each axis? Looks like ACME not ballscrews from here.

tonyken
01-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I know the feeling... made it because it was interesting to make, not for a specific purpose.

What screws are you using for each axis? Looks like ACME not ballscrews from here.

Hi Jonathan, I used TR16x4Dx1500mm and 1000mmTrapezoidal Acme Leadscrew for the X and Y axis and 10 allthread for Z axis. had a couple of teething problems this last 2 days but will be all sorted out tomorrow.
Got a new 25cc 2 stroke strimmer engine off ebay the other week so thinking large scale ( 8 foot wingspan plane ) using 1.5mm ply, got a lot of plans to play with, ( probably won't get off the ground but it's something to do :smile:
).
Tony.

Swarfing
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Tony sounds like fun, built a 1/4 scale CAP29 back in the late 80's with an old strimmer engine and wished i had the cnc then. It was all made out of light ply and i had to turn down the fly wheel on the engine to make it lighter and insert a four bolt concoction to mount the prop....Have fun

tonyken
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Tony sounds like fun, built a 1/4 scale CAP29 back in the late 80's with an old strimmer engine and wished i had the cnc then. It was all made out of light ply and i had to turn down the fly wheel on the engine to make it lighter and insert a four bolt concoction to mount the prop....Have fun
That's exactly what I want to do, working out best way to get dxf from pdf plans at moment.

Swarfing
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Autocad can do that but not sure about any others?

tonyken
02-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Autocad can do that but not sure about any others?

found this prog " Aide PDF to DXF Converter " that I already had, does it ok but plans are not to clever so i'm getting a lot of unwanted vectors, all good for the learning curve !!

motoxy
02-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Try this one. Its free and is supposed to be quite accurate.

http://www.pdftodxf.com/

Bruce

forbesbrb
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM

http://youtu.be/46GX5A206oE

Cheers, Tony.

hi there Tony I am new to cnc and i built a cnc router and i also used the TB6560 board, can you tell me how you configured this board as i am at my wits end.
p.s i have not altered the board in anyway it is as delivered.

hi there Tony I am new to cnc and i built a cnc router and i also used the TB6560 board, can you tell me how yo configured this board as i am at my wits end.

tonyken
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
hi there Tony I am new to cnc and i built a cnc router and i also used the TB6560 board, can you tell me how yo configured this board as i am at my wits end.

Hi there, I would love to help you out on this and will gladly do that when I get out of hospital, been in 3 weeks now with a heart attack and am having a double bypass op next monday.
When I get out I will be back in touch with any help I can give.
Regards, Tony