PDA

View Full Version : Wiring 3 phase

Robin Hewitt
29-02-2012, 06:30 PM
All I want is one poxy 3ph socket good for 9kW, a meter and a circuit breaker. It's an blooming industrial unit fused 100A per phase, how hard can it be?

I've just had the second electrician round and still no joy.

First one I tried to get a budget job, got me nowhere. Said he'd do it for £750 if I got the parts in but wouldn't tell me what those parts were. Obviously doesn't want to do it, taking the piss.

Second one eventually suggested a ballpark £250 plus parts and I said, "No problem, that doesn't even touch the sides". Got his attention, but apparently it was essential that I understood everything and if I dared to ask a question he had to start explaining all over again from where the power enters the building. He seemed terrified of electricity, I suggested he might be in the wrong job, perhaps that didn't help.

Number 3 tomorrow. Anyone care to suggest another approach (shy of pretending to be a lottery winner or kidnap)? I'm running out of ideas.

/rant

motoxy
29-02-2012, 07:55 PM
If you have a CEF or similar go in and ask for a decent contact, preferably one not afraid of electricity.

Web Goblin
29-02-2012, 08:54 PM
If you pay travel time from Central Scotland I will do it for you:lol:
Seriously some people who call them selves sparks are clueless.
What you could do post a request on this forum, http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=205 and ask for some info from there. They a generally a good bunch and should be able to help you out. There are sparks on there from most places around the country.

Ian

Robin Hewitt
29-02-2012, 09:47 PM
If you pay travel time from Central Scotland I will do it for you:lol:

You need to be careful what you offer :naughty:

Robin Hewitt
01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Got two proper electricians round today, blimey what a difference. One more tomorrow then wait for the quotes.

I really have no idea what the job is worth, but guess I'm just about to find out :tup:

Web Goblin
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Glad your getting somewhere now. It does make a difference when the real tradesmen turn up.
Now all you have to do is sit down when you open the mail:lol:

Ian

Robin Hewitt
10-03-2012, 02:07 PM
The three quotes have finally arrived :dance:

£417 + VAT, £536 no VAT, £1413 + VAT. (I can get the VAT back so that doesn't count).

The £417 does involve finding some outdated 30 Amp breaker to fit the outdated wall panel. It seems to be available on fleabay at around the £15 to £20 mark so this is still the cheapest option. He's dropping by on Monday to make sure we get the right one.
I'm getting all excited wondering what will happen when I plug t'bugger in :beer:

Mad Professor
10-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Magic blue smoke? :rofl:

Robin Hewitt
10-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Magic blue smoke? :rofl:

I think I had better ask him which power switch will be nearest to the enormous bang if it all goes horribly wrong. Want to use the one furthest away so I don't leap out of my skin.

Once switched on my plan of action is to persuade someone else to touch it and see if they get a shock.

Next, the instructions say to cycle the main 5.5kW motor and see if it goes the right way round. Not sure if I want to do the button pushing or the looking.

When that's done I will stop and plumb in the hydraulic oil chiller before I start moving the rams. I've bought a half horsepower suds pump to drive the coolant, 1 litre per second with a 6 foot lift sounds about right. I'm going to start by pumping a weak sulphamic acid solution to descale it. I removed a lot of lime scale from the flow control valves so the rest of the circuits are probably in need of a clean up.

This will either be great fun or abject disappointment. I'll let you know...

JAZZCNC
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Once switched on my plan of action is to persuade someone else to touch it and see if they get a shock.

I'll voluntere my Ex -wife!!. . . Plus if she unfortunatly survives she spits pure nasty Acid so can descale the machine at same time..:surprised: . . . . I Drink guiness I'm not bitter honest. .:whistling:

WTF is it your powering up with 5.5Kw motors rams, oil chillers and fire engine suds pump.?

Robin Hewitt
11-03-2012, 12:22 AM
WTF is it your powering up with 5.5Kw motors rams, oil chillers and fire engine suds pump.?

Ah! That last message might have made more sense if I hadn't forgotten to mention that little detail. Oops, beg pardon! :whistling:

Wish it was something exciting like a mega-machining centre or a killer robot that would be keen. It's just an old injection moulder 20gm shot weight, 25 ton closing.

JAZZCNC
11-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Ah! That last message might have made more sense if I hadn't forgotten to mention that little detail. Oops, beg pardon! :whistling:

Wish it was something exciting like a mega-machining centre or a killer robot that would be keen. It's just an old injection moulder 20gm shot weight, 25 ton closing.

Ahh man you got me all revved up, my mind add it down for some all singing lamp post sized bar feeding twin head super lathe. .:rofl:

blackburn mark
11-03-2012, 10:38 AM
a killer robot

with 5axis arms and auto tool change.... de buring missiles.... AH SHIT! the imagination is always so much more fun

Web Goblin
11-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Make sure your electrician does the testing and supplies you with the test certificates after the jobs done.

Ian

boldford
10-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Check for the eyebrows.

The electricians that know what they're doing still have them.

Robin Hewitt
10-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I gave up tring to get arrange it and dumped it on my son. First electrician he tried quoted £400 + tax with 25% up front, his mate came and stuck in the wires then he came and wired it up.

It's all extremely neat and tidy, two meters (1ph and 3ph), two lockable isolator sockets and more Amps than I could ever want.

Web Goblin
10-07-2012, 11:07 PM
You can never have enough amps but i know what you mean. Glad you got it all sorted out and you get to play with your new toy. Just to add im off to watch the rest of tonights thunderstorm before we go out for tea in sunny florida, now thats a big electrical supply.