PDA

View Full Version : Better finish

luke11cnc
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I have a little bit of a enigma and the answer is eluding so I'm asking for advice on this problem.

I don't know what is causing the ribbing on the final pass on recess carving I have change speed from 480 mm/min up to 900 mm/min and with different step-overs and different spindle speeds, I've even tried different material and ballnose cutters but still the problem remains.I've also been using a extractor and a air line to keep the cutting path clear.But I think looking at the the ribbing it would seem that the z-axis is dropping, Is this a software problem.James

blackburn mark
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
thats got to be some kind of software bug ?

have you looked at the g-code to see if your machine is being told to drop (if your using trail software it may be designed to drop that mark in untill you buy the full copy ?)

if its not in the code it may also be worth looking at machs compensation fuctions (maybe you have inadvertently added some kind of compensation )

Jonathan
05-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Are there several lines on each part, or one line on each? If it's the former then it sounds like the Z-axis loosing position. Perhaps try running the next part with the acceleration and maximum speed settings much lower on Z. If that solves it you can gradually increase the settings.

luke11cnc
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Yes Jonathan there is several line on each part.
so if I slow the feed rate down and plunge rate down even farther it may give me a better finish.

how low should I go, can you give me a starting point please

I did once run it so slow that my y-axis stalled and the cutter started cutting at the wrong depth and direction (a big cut line running through my work)
I will upload a image of this later if you wish

my step over is set at 5%to 8%

James

Musht
05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Are the lines always lower, which would indicate Z dropping either mechanically by loosing a step or loose screw etc or by software erroneous z-axis drop or by glitch in command, interference on lines, to stepper driver?

Do the lines appear in roughing cut or just finishing pass?

luke11cnc
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
The line appear as a grove (lower) and I've never seen them in the roughing pass always in the finial pas

James

Jonathan
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes Jonathan there is several line on each part.
so if I slow the feed rate down and plunge rate down even farther it may give me a better finish.

how low should I go, can you give me a starting point please

This does sound increasingly like the Z-axis is loosing position. Are you sure pulleys or something else on the Z-axis has not worked loose?
Although changing the plunge rate could solve the problem it's not advisable as the Z-axis is still capable of stalling. If it's too high an acceleration causing the problem then lowing the feed-rate could make no difference. You should go to Config->Motor tuning->Z-axis and reduce the speed and acceleration. I can't say exact values as I do not remember what they are currently set to, so try halving them and see what happens.

JAZZCNC
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
How meny times have you cut this.? If you have cut it a few times did it happen in the same place.? If not then try again and see if it happes in same place.

If it does then I very much doubt it's missed steps due to Accel etc or slipping as I would expect this to be more random and not really repeatable. This would more indicate to me you have a tight spot on the Z axis making it miss steps in the same place.?

If it's random then yes go for lowering the Acceleration.

It could also be electrical noise.!

luke11cnc
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
I will cut two relief carvings today to see what is going on and post them later on today

James

luke11cnc
07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
How meny times have you cut this.? If you have cut it a few times did it happen in the same place.? If not then try again and see if it happes in same place.

If it does then I very much doubt it's missed steps due to Accel etc or slipping as I would expect this to be more random and not really repeatable. This would more indicate to me you have a tight spot on the Z axis making it miss steps in the same place.?

If it's random then yes go for lowering the Acceleration.

It could also be electrical noise.!

well the result's are in and after a painful day yesterday It looks like I have a tight spot on my z-axis as the ribbing is more or less in the same place.

I cut my samples with a slower feed rate and spindle speed and with a 5% step-over and a extra finish pass at 90 degrees to the first finish pass
this was all futile as I finished with the same results as all the other times.I will check the machine for lose nut bolts and tighten up my belts and put a little bit of oil on the ball screw and then try again.

A very frustrated, unhappy and discouraged James. I could just cry at this moment

but on a positive flip of the coin I only have until Christmas to get this right, sooner would be better though

James

JAZZCNC
07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
James chin up this is all just part of building your own machine and it's just teething troubles.
It's not uncommon to have little issue's like this and thats why I say to people to give there machines lots of running in time to iron out the bugs before tackling any big or expensive job's.!! . . . . Believe me it could be far worse imagine "striking" out . .Opp's. . mean forking out 5K and have machine that couldn't even do that.:redface:

Between us we'll have you sorted and dancing round the garage in no time. .:dance:

Now check everything's tight like you said, whind it up and down by hand feeling for sticky spot's if any major sticks then chances are thats your issue.!. . . BUT . . before doing anything major like striping the Z axis down this is what you could do just to verify it is a sticking Z axis.!. . . . Pack or lift the material higher so the Z axis works in a different place then cut another.

If you want a chat then it's my day off, use the number. . . BUT . . we'll have none of this girly wanting to cry shit round here.!!. . . . Only Yorkie eaters need apply..:lmao:

luke11cnc
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the great idea about trying it higher or lower first I was so focussed on getting a good finish I never even thought of that Jazz
Not crying just frustrated

I'm cutting a set of clock hands out of corian later just for a change of scenery but I will come back to this problem after tea

James

JAZZCNC
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
James have you got to the bottom of this prob yet.?

luke11cnc
13-03-2012, 03:51 AM
No yet but I did find a lose wire on my y-axis so I've re-soldered it and will try it again Tuesday

James

luke11cnc
16-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Well I did as suggested and lowered my cutting bed by 20mm and recut my carving relief I also slowed down the finish pass to 360m/min and the results where the same.

my current velocity is set at 3000 and acceleration is set to 600

what would your next move be ??

James

Musht
16-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Naive view from newbie alert.

Have you tried carving a similar but different relief?

Tried feeding the G-code through Cutview to see if its a mistake in the actual code?

http://www.cutviewer.co.uk

Cheers
Adam

Musht
26-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Did you get to the bottom of this James?

Cheers
Adam

luke11cnc
27-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Hello Adam

No not yet but still working on it and still hopeful I'm currently waiting on the results of the code being read to see if it's with in the G-Code also I think someone is cutting it on their machine to find out if it's also with in the G-Code

but thank you for the interest and keeping this post alive

James

JAZZCNC
27-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm currently waiting on the results of the code being read to see if it's with in the G-Code also I think someone is cutting it on their machine to find out if it's also with in the G-Code

Not if you don't bloody send it won't.!!. . .:whistling:

Jonathan
27-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Not if you don't bloody send it won't.!!. . .:whistling:

I thought that post was referring to me!

JAZZCNC
27-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I thought that post was referring to me!

Well if you have the code and have cut it then it may well be. But I did offer and was expecting code but either way so long as James is sorted I'm not bothered.