PDA

View Full Version : 2 Motors driven from one driver in parallel

fozziebear40
12-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi
I have a 4' x 4' homebrew CNC only for light work. The motors are Bipolar NEMA 23 case size. Rated current 1.2A, holding torque 0.314Nm with Routout CNC 2.5 amp drivers. It is belt driven. Working fine but I want to double the motors up for more torque. Instead of 1 motor on each axis I want a motor on either end of the belts instead of just a pulley at 1 end. I have tried it on x axis and works great, using an extra driver board.

Instead of a separate driver board for each motor on same axis, could one driver board control 2 identical motors wired in parallel? (I was told it is possible but better for each to have its own, hence I have a Wanted ad for a driver board :tongue:)

Thanks

fozziebear40
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Sorry, I have searched now and found although technically possible it is not a good idea. An extra Routout CNC board it is then :)

boldford
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi
I have a 4' x 4' homebrew CNC only for light work. The motors are Bipolar NEMA 23 case size. Rated current 1.2A, holding torque 0.314Nm with Routout CNC 2.5 amp drivers. It is belt driven. Working fine but I want to double the motors up for more torque. Instead of 1 motor on each axis I want a motor on either end of the belts instead of just a pulley at 1 end. I have tried it on x axis and works great, using an extra driver board.

Instead of a separate driver board for each motor on same axis, could one driver board control 2 identical motors wired in parallel? (I was told it is possible but better for each to have its own, hence I have a Wanted ad for a driver board :tongue:)

ThanksIf you really must go for two stepper motors driving the same axis I'd recommend you connect them in series. This does, of course, mean your motors and driver must be capable of being set up to be bipolar.
If they are mechanically linked; that's a bonus.

JAZZCNC
11-07-2012, 09:58 PM
If you really must go for two stepper motors driving the same axis I'd recommend you connect them in series.

He wants more torque so that would be a bad idea.! . . . Parallel will give him more torque higher up. Plus he will need far more volts to be any use and doubt these drives can handle enough to be of any use.?

fozziebear40
12-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. I got extra driver boards. A motors at each end of belt. It is better anyway than trying to make an idler pulley to match the other end. (I know what I mean lol). Works great.

boldford
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
He wants more torque so that would be a bad idea.! . . . Parallel will give him more torque higher up. Plus he will need far more volts to be any use and doubt these drives can handle enough to be of any use.?I think you may be forgetting that much of the current is being limited by the high impedance source created by the chopper circuit. Doubling the resistance of the motors will not necessarily reduce the current significantly.