PDA

View Full Version : Help please Steps and control?

totts
28-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Evening all, setvup the cnc tonight on half steps and all was going fine just a bit noisey, so decided to try 1/16th step but when i do this when i tell it to move 5mm it moves 30?

Now i got 200step motors at 16th so thats 3200 steps per rev?

5mm direct drive lead screw

3200/500= 640steps per mm which is what i have entered into motor tuning.

Is my maths correct or have i gone totaly off course? Cheers simon

JAZZCNC
28-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes thats correct but did you remember to click the Axis then save in motor tuning.???????????????

Probably stateing the obvious but when frustration sets in I know how easy it is to over look obvious things.!!! Have you Checked the figures you entered are there.??

totts
28-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Haha yeh i Saved them, i know what you mean frustrated and frantically clicking. Also checked the units was in mm, scratching head continues, may have to be left on half step!

Robin Hewitt
28-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Did you turn the driver off when you changed the switches? It may only read them at power up.

totts
28-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I switched them off to change the steps on the dip switches and then switched them on again. I will try them again tomorrow when the computer is freshly booted up. I have a sneeking suspicion that the dip switches are labelled incorrectly as ivput 40 steps per mm in and it turned one rev when i told it to move 5mm which is correct, more investigation tomorrow.

JAZZCNC
28-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a sneeking suspicion that the dip switches are labelled incorrectly as ivput 40 steps per mm in and it turned one rev when i told it to move 5mm which is correct

That sounds very likely to me and not the first time it's happened.!! . . . . I had a drive where all the switch's where reversed no wonder I'm folicly challenged. . :tongue:

totts
28-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Lets just hope it is as easy as that, time will tell tomorrow. Fingers crossed for me :) thankyou for youre help, will be straight back on here if i have no luck :(

JAZZCNC
28-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Lets just hope it is as easy as that, time will tell tomorrow. Fingers crossed for me :) thankyou for youre help, will be straight back on here if i have no luck :(

No come back and let us know anyway, always interesting to know and register in the dwindling memory banks for future reference.

Out of interest what drives are they.?

totts
28-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeh good to know for future reference, and they are the system 4 drives from roy i believe, im pretty sure he has them spot on and cannot fault him in any way! I know i should have gone for some beefed up electronics but these will do for now to get my teeth into diy cnc....ing

totts
31-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Sorted all done, the dip switches were different to what it says in the manual, running silky smooth now hah! At least it was simple :)