PDA

View Full Version : What board should i get ?

Stephen-Niall
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi, I'm currently in the process of building a small CNC machine, I'm building it on a budget with recycled materials... I'm looking for a 3 axis controller for around the £30 - £40 mark... I've had a look at some of the cheap ebay ones, but the information on the pages baffle me a little. I'm trying to get some budget motors or try and get some used ones cheap, The only motor i have now is a old Vexta 2 phase (6 Wire) 5.4 Volt stepper motor (Which i need to find the pinout of it) ... Would the cheap TB6560 board of ebay run this ? Or can you point me in the direction of a decent board that would, I don't mind buying secondhand, aslong as it does the job.

Many Thanks
Ste

John S
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
No the cheap TB6560 boards are rubbish.
You won't find a decent 3 axis controller for the £30 - £40 mark. Time to bit the bullet and move up or just keep paying out for crap, in which case you will pay far more in the end.

mocha
22-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Steve,
I wouldn't be alone in agreeing with what John says, try a google search of TB6560, you'll find many more. Results do also include this sort of link:
TB6560 (http://www.sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=33768.0)

routercnc
22-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Steve,

The cheapest entry level system that I could recommend is the 'system 4' from DIYCNC. For the motherboard and 3 drivers this comes to about £113 plus delivery.
http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system4.html

I have the previous system 3 and it does everything I want at a good price. I have also had excellent customer service from Roy.

Some would consider the 30v input on the low side, but I find it fast enough for my needs. If you want to move up in speed alot of people run at around 50v, and some at 70v. You will of course need different controller drivers for this which are more expensive.

m.marino
22-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I have a system 4 board with the 3.5 amp drivers and 3 x 1.8Nm motors and 1 x 1.24 Nm motors with the case and everything wired for parallel. Take a look at Roy's website (DIYCNC.co.uk) and look at what he is charging for his set up and get back to me with an offer if you are interested in them. They aren't doing me any good and would be better off being put to use. I am going to be cutting the back panel to the case sometime this week so that the XLR plugs can be mounted to it and set up complete. Good luck on your build and trust me listen to John S, going the other route if just a big pain in the back side trust me burned the Tee Shirt.

Michael